GPS/GSM device for recovering stolen bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geobiketrack

hi,
I am part of a university group, that is trying to develop a GPS/GSM device to help people recover their bikes once they are stolen.
We have developed a site, where we describe our project and simulate a sale(so we can see if there are a lot of people interested in our product).
We would like to have your help and advice.

http://nazguljp.wix.com/findmybike

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
My problem is where you are putting the tracking device. If you put it in the hand grips, thieves will soon be alerted to what grips to look out for. I assume the device will run on batteries and how would you take the batteries out of the device to charge them? Probably with a fastening at the end of the grip, which thieves will soon spot.

In my opinion, the device should go in the seat post as the seatpost can be fastened with a hexi bolt and it would look like any other seat post. Plus it would be cheaper to make and cheaper to sell as you will not be manufacturing grips.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
How about a device that fits snugly inside the frame at some point with the charger point built into the frame elsewhere away from the device, the charging point could be a micro plug and cleverly hidden from the untrained eye. Or even a solar charger disguised as a stem badge or similar.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
i would have thought using the frame as an ariel would help with tracking signals and with carbon an ariel could be incorporated into the device , but much like yourself I am no expert.

OP
OP
G

geobiketrack

Hi, thank you very much for helping us.
We considered the seat idea, but we thoughtt that was easier to steal. The frame seems a bit harder because of the attenuation provoked by the material.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Hi, thank you very much for helping us.
We considered the seat idea, but we thoughtt that was easier to steal. The frame seems a bit harder because of the attenuation provoked by the material.

But how would they know it was in the seat post when they stole it?

classic33

Leg End Member
Any idea if any of the UK police forces are interested in it. I ask as someone who followed a stolen cycle, across six seperate police forces. With not one willing to take any interest in a stolen vehicle travelling through their area.
Last known location was an industrial estate, just outside the port of Holyhead, North Wales.
The same technology as is used on motorbikes was used on the frame for close quarter ID. But unable to get them involved in actually recovering it. Was in use for a while on the North Wales coast, but no response to the report made, from the police.

OP
OP
G

geobiketrack

We know there are several devices like ours, but we pretend to make ours better and cheaper. Besides they arent exactly like our.
They could know the device is in the seat, just like they could assume the device was in the grip. Once the thieves know about the product they will try to go around it.
We are from Portugal, here we talked to the police and they said that if we could give them the current location they could help us, in the UK i dont know.
Sry for english and thank you all for helping.

Top Bottom