Groin Hernia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CUBE CRD

Hi Folks,
Back in August I felt a tear in the groin area (painful!) whilst cycling and had to park the bikes for a few weeks.After a couple of failed attempts to get back in the saddle I visited the GP.Two ultrasound scans later I'm told I have a small hernia.I'm going back to discuss the pro's and con's of surgery but was just wondering if anyone on here had experienced similar?

Yep, 5 years ago. No choice but to have surgery - I could hardly stand! Very uncomfortable ! Had the op - painful for a few days, then slowly back to full health. No problems since though I find that the groin on the affected side is tighter. Makes getting my leg over the crossbar more difficult! If its causing you pain then get it sorted!

OP
OP
C

CUBE CRD

If the hospital consultant recommends surgery then you probably need it. Hernias tend to be left alone these days unless it is actually necessary to operate.

Many will be done as daycases. Recovery is usually swift and uncomplicated.

Hmmm.Mine is relatively painless whilst walking,but just in the absolute wrong place for cycling due to pressure from the saddle.I'll have to wait for the consultants opinion then.Thanks for the replies folks :thumbsup:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've had one for 50 years! From time to time it causes discomfort but most of the time it doesn't so I just live with it.

I've had one for 6 years brought about by a coughing fit, but i couldn't imagine having a hernia for 50 years. How have you coped with it for so long? I keep backing out of having mine sorted,even though i've heard it's a simple procedure. I think the recovery time puts me off, though if i had it done i'd probably wonder what all the fuss was about.

screenman

Legendary Member
Had mine done at the BHC 20 years ago, I was back on bike 3 days later and doing a tt about 14 days after that. I was also back at work 3days after the op. Well worth the money I paid.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've had one for 6 years brought about by a coughing fit, but i couldn't imagine having a hernia for 50 years. How have you coped with it for so long? I keep backing out of having mine sorted,even though i've heard it's a simple procedure. I think the recovery time puts me off, though if i had it done i'd probably wonder what all the fuss was about.
Because it literally doesn't cause any problems most of the time! It must be a very small tear.

Being a total wimp and not liking doctors/hospitals/needles etc. makes the decision easier ...

If it became a big problem, then I would get it seen to.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Yes I had one over 15 years ago and had surgery.

It has never caused me problems since and I am very active.

The operation is simple and quick. Recovery time is also fast if you take it easy for a while.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I had 2 - bilateral inguinal hernias, couldn't have them fixed until after I'd finished a course of blood-thinning medication after 'arterial plumbing repairs'. I ended up having to wear a truss - you didn't know such things still existed, did you? Couldn't walk without it. Get it fixed, they can get worse!

aj101

Yes had this, a small tear that can start having uncomfortable effects if you leave it for too long. If you've got private health care and can get to London check out a Mr Gilmore, inventor of Gilmore's Groin. Clinic in Harley St and the authority on the subject, but private insurance should cover it.
Whatever route you go for getting it fixed just make sure you do the follow up exercises and then some. Get a private physio for a couple of months too for rehab, you don't want it giving you problems further down the line.

Spartak