Group set

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
There are many but without knowing what you have and what you are looking at it's impossible to say

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you have a road bike? It looks like a mountain bike in your avatar, possibly CX?

People buy more costly groupsets as they are lighter, shift (a bit) smoother and tart value :whistle:

Under £500 really isn't that much for the benefits and weight saving if you want to upgrade

ayceejay

Guru
This reads like a trolling exercise.
My house cost $y my neighbours (that I am nor giving you any details about, just the price) house cost twice as much,
Does he do any more living than I do?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Yes sorry what a Wally I am, posted the link.
And what are you comparing it to?

Do you have a road bike? It looks like a mountain bike in your avatar, possibly CX?

People buy more costly groupsets as they are lighter, shift (a bit) smoother and tart value :whistle:

Under £500 really isn't that much for the benefits and weight saving if you want to upgrade
What about feel? which includes the hood shape in your hands,and the actual effort needed to shift? Di2 click isn't much more effort than left clicking a standard pc mouse, but use it alongside tourney/claris/sora and even tiagra they all feel agricultural.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

Surely its for the pie value @vernon ?

OP
OP
andrew_rc46

andrew_rc46

Yes

I have a 2015 defy 5

T.M.H.N.E.T

What I'm saying is "what effect does spending on group sets actually have that the standard on our bike does not"
What effect do you want it to have? Surely that would be a considered reason for any upgrade?

Your Defy has Claris 8speed. I'm riding with Ultegra and 105 respectively.

Do they both shift?
Do they both brake?
Do they both do the same job?
Do they look the same asthetically?

Do they feel the same in your hand or at your fingertips?

Are they the same weight?
Same quality controls in place at manufacture?
Same materials used?
Same CNC parts or cheap forged with lower tolerances?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
8 speed to 11 speed
Assuming the same ratio cassette 12 -25 eg less jumps between gears so easier to keep on top of ideal cadence
A bit lighter, eat 1 less biscuit a day for a week and you will save it off your body.
Some say that 10-11 speed chains do not last as long and cost more
You will need a new rear wheel as i very much doubt stock wheels on the defy will have the dishing/ hub to take 11 speed.
I have seen 11 speed 105 for under £300 which is supposed to be the best balance between price and performance .
If you can afford it why not but do not expect it to make you any faster , just read an article about a sportive in france where they only time you up the mountain sections and the winner did it in sandals with flats .

OP
OP
andrew_rc46

andrew_rc46

I would expect to be able to buy whole bike for that money with the same equipment on and keep mine :smile:
I think the defy is more then i need really, I just think it's silly that all of the shiny bits for cycles cost a packet, when r&d costs fudge all, compared to motorcycling, cycling is ridiculous with it's pricing, and you don't put as much physical effort into motorcycling.

T.M.H.N.E.T

I would expect to be able to buy whole bike for that money with the same equipment on and keep mine :smile:
I think the defy is more then i need really, I just think it's silly that all of the shiny bits for cycles cost a packet, when r&d costs fudge all, compared to motorcycling, cycling is ridiculous with it's pricing, and you don't put as much physical effort into motorcycling.
Top trolling :thumbsup:

Top Bottom