GT85?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jamie_C

Regular
Hi guys,

A quick question about bike maintenance.

I've heard a lot of conflicting advice about using GT85. Some people swear by it, others say don't use it as it strips the bike of grease. For a while now I've used it religiously. After a wet ride I completely dry and clean the bike off, and then give everything a good spray. Is this OK? Are there any parts of the bike I should avoid spraying? I'm particularly concerned about my hubs. I recently bought a pair of Mavic wheels with sealed hubs and have read that you should stay away from the hubs with GT85. Will any of the spray make it's way into the hubs and give me any problems?

Many thanks,

Jamie :smile:

Drago

Legendary Member
Keep it 6" away from any bearings and you shouldn't have a problem. IMHO you'd really have to slather it on to start to degrease bearings, and if you service your bearings annually anyway...

subaqua

What’s the point
rims, if you have rim brakes ! discs and pads if you have disc brakes.

getting GT85 near them makes stopping " interesting"

I use it to clean the frame after the babywipes have got rid of the crud. spray onto a microfibre coth and wipe over.

Chains don't get it near them and they get " mickled" search the forum for Mickle method for chain care.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Agree with the posts so far.

GT85 is a mild solvent, but the solvent part evaporates leaving a tiny bit of Teflon lubrication.

I occasionally drift some over the bike after cleaning and then polish off.

Looks well, and the bike is easier to clean next time.

Avoid spraying brakes and braking surfaces, and don't spray directly onto wheel or bottom bracket bearings.

I've just bought some Muc-off MO94. it's like GT85 but it doesn't evaporate quite so readily, and seems to be a bit more resiliant.

Crankarm

Guru
Wow I wish I had the time to completely clean, dry and lubricate my bike after every wet ride. Every 4-6 weeks 1000 - 1,500 miles is enough for me, but then I don't put GT85 on my bike.

andrew_rc46

I've used gt85 for years, on my bikes and motorcycles, this stuff if the sh1t.