Gumshields?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On a recent forest ride, one of the group was wearing a gumshield.

It's not something I've come across before, and wondered about other peoples opinions. He wore normal cycling gloves and a 'normal' commuter type helmet, but no other body armour. I didn't ask him about it, so I have no idea if there was a specific reason for him choosing it over general personal protection.

He was one of the quicker riders, but was the one to fall off.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
He was one of the quicker riders, but was the one to fall off.

Farking risk compensation.

Wobbly John

Veteran
Well, I've had my front teeth pushed in from a fall while MTB-ing (I pushed them back into place and they seem to have stayed there).

I've also had front teeth knocked through my bottom lip when I used to play American football (During pratice - I made sure I always had my gumshield in after that!)

So I think it's a sensible idea if they are comfortable with it.

Drago

Legendary Member
I used to wear them when I boxed and did TKD, but cycling....? If I were that concerned about the risks I'd be wearing nappies, not a gumshield.

ayceejay

Guru
now 'gum shield' is an odd one isn't it. If you had already lost your teeth there would not be much point in shielding your gums so if anything it is a teeth shield surely. Try saying teeth shield surely with no teeth and I rest my case

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
If you keep falling off there are two ways to go. Either work on your riding skills, or ramp up the body armour.

Top Bottom