Gypsy Invasion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Very often people stereotype others based on what they HAVE observed.
Isnt it a human condition ?, self protection (whether its your life, property or whatever) based on experience, instinct, occasionally hearsay etc etc. I'd no more trust an unknown gypsy to look after my possessions for instance than i would trust a Nigerian attempting to buy my mobile phone. Both may be perfectly upright citizens, but experience, repute etc etc quite naturally makes you suspicious. Thats what we all do. Well, some apparently not :okay:
Certainly. I exercise extra caution around drivers of tipper trucks and black cabs, for example. But it's a long way from not trusting a stranger with your mobile phone to admiringly swapping stories about people who've hounded people who looked a bit like him and their families out of town.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
He could be made of magnesium.
Or, indeed Rubidium.

How would setting fire to a straw filled trench do any harm? Perhaps make them cough and splutter perhaps and might be a bit intimidating but sauce for the goose and all that. Immolation was never mentioned.

subaqua

What’s the point
in the you tube vid, has anybody seen the travellers dumping the rubbish or are they assuming.

based on that being evidence of travellers , then i have to say there must be a massive traveller community in walthamstow

In Wigan there is a perminant residential site for travellers, some of them have lived there for 20 years,
Now the last time I asked this question User1314 formerly of this parish got a bee in his bonnet and repeatedly called me racist, how he worked that out I don't know.
Simply put, why do they still call themselves travellers when they have been on a resident site for so long,

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
why do they still call themselves travellers when they have been on a resident site for so long,
Well, most people would assume I am a 'southerner', (accent, lager-drinker, bit of a wuss) but I haven't lived in the south of England for a really long time :smile:

gbb

Legendary Member
Do your two examples have further to go earning your trust than other people?
Yes and no. The two examples arent really like for like...a Nigerian buying my phone Is likely to be on the end of a computer. Common sense says this needs care.
Gypsies, I have had direct contact with and as said in my earlier posts, ive had mixed experiences, some good, some bad. But actually meeting and talking with an individual, you very quickly, and usually correctly from your own perspective form an opinion...and thats fine, thats the way it is with anyone, English, Nigerian , gypsy, whatever, it'll go one way or the other, like or dislike.
I have no truck with any individual I meet until they give me reason to mistrust them, but equally, I'm human and am tainted, as we all are, by opinions, experiences, rumour...and not least, MY choice to engage with a particular person or not.

Mrs M

Guru
Anyone remember "Kizzy" from TV back in the 1970s?

You can watch the whole series on Youtube :

"Kizzy is the name given to the 1976 BBC adaptation of Rumer Godden's novel The Diddakoi. It starred Vanessa Furst as Kizzy.

It is the story of an orphan traveller or Romani girl called Kizzy, who faces persecution, grief and loss in a hostile, close-knit village community. This is a moving tale of human fallibility and sorrow, but also of strength, courage and redemption.

It was dramatised as a television serial, Kizzy (1976), which was produced by Dorothea Brooking for the BBC, with Vanessa Furst as Kizzy. The novel has been republished under the title Gypsy Girl, and has been adapted as a BBC radio drama of the same name.
"
I remember Kizzy!

Top Bottom