Had Your Bike Stolen? Useful tips for recovery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sam the biker

I've read that UV Pens are not always great, some rub off, but they are better than nothing.

Apparently there were on average over 1000 bike thefts each day in 2013 in England and Wales alone...

OP
OP
mossj88

mossj88

Very few forces have the means to check for it though.
Agreed, same goes for RFID (they may have the readers but officers I speak to say they rarely use them).

Best bet is frame number and if you want some added protection the Datatag kit which includes 4 UV stencils (which I'm told do get checked for) and enough microdots to mark two bikes (which are less likely to be checked but can be used to mark every component on a bike).

OP
OP
mossj88

mossj88

Really? All it needs is a UV lamp.

To detect but isn't smartwater the one that has a DNA inprint?

SWC

Regular
I didnt know about the bike search website, very handy.

You can also avoid buying a stolen bike by insisting on taking a copy of, or seeing their ID along with getting a receipt which includes the bikes frame number, & clear description of the bike as i do all the time. also, if something doesnt feel right, then walk. better safe than sorry

classic33

Leg End Member
I didnt know about the bike search website, very handy.

You can also avoid buying a stolen bike by insisting on taking a copy of, or seeing their ID along with getting a receipt which includes the bikes frame number, & clear description of the bike as i do all the time. also, if something doesnt feel right, then walk. better safe than sorry
What would you be willing to accept as ID though?
Also how would you respond to the same question.?

SWC

Regular
No different to going to somewhere like cash converters. I require proof of ID which does not include bank card so drivers licence or recent utility bill etc. i also require seller to fill our purchase form with their address, phone number, & full bike details to include make, model, frame number & colour.

Top Bottom