Has anyone ever recovered their stolen cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dov

Found my friends bike that was stolen in december 1 20.30 from our factory teritory. I was looking thru ebay for both bikes, mine and friends. I found his bike, he got it back. And my is still missing... Im pretty sure, that I wont see it ever again ...

lozcs

Guru
I used to have a shiny Boardman road bike, you know, the 'comp' one. I really loved it, I'd upgraded the wheels, the tyres and the saddle. It also had a SRAM rival group set and Ultegra brakes.

Oh how I miss that bike.....

:whistle:

Linford

Is there a concensus of opinion of whether the bikes get broken for bits, or whether they end up being shipped abroad ?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I doubt that many get shipped abroad when there is a ready and willing market here and so little traceability. I suspect most gets sold directly on to the gullible and not so gullible!

Linford

I doubt that many get shipped abroad when there is a ready and willing market here and so little traceability. I suspect most gets sold directly on to the gullible and not so gullible!

Unless you are on the sharp end of theft, many people don't consider the consequences of it, or that the massive bargain up for grabs at the local car boot was once someone's pride and joy :sad:

rollinstok

Scumbags got away with my sons brand new Muddy Fox Christmas present.. I was out within 5 mins with my son in the car just driving around looking for the lowlifes. My wife actually saw 3 of them with the bike while I was out, they walked right in front of my house. She shouted at them and they scarpered with the bike but she recognised one of them who was a fully qualified scumbag. Police called round the day after and basically said without proof there is nothing we could do. All this happened about 20 yrs ago. About 5 yrs after that episode I had to interview someone for a vacancy we had.. I saw his name on the listing and couldnt believe my luck. I doubt anyone ever had such an awful experience at an interview and he walked out without the job. I didnt even mention the bike once, just made a few comments here and there and the idiot finally twigged..his face was purest red and his head hung in shame.

SteveCon99

So many people have stories of their bikes being stolen.

I've recently come across this device :
http://www.integratedtrackers.com/GPSTrack/

If your bike gets stolen you get sent an automatic text, and you can then follow the path the stolen bike is taking, on your computer.
You'd probably then need to get the police involved to accompany you when you go to get it back.

I believe the police sometimes use 'bait bikes' fitted with devices like this. I wish they'd do it more often. Sometimes they get led to a whole stash of stolen bikes.

At £83 for the SpyBike and no subscription fees, that seems reasonable for the satisfaction of catching the thief.

Steve

RedRider

Pulling through
Ever got a stolen bike back? After reading some of the positive stories - Cyclopathic take a bow - I shall answer: Not yet, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled.

Had a call back from the police today and they spent a fair while getting more detail about the bike and what happened which I appreciated. Picking up a new steed tomorrow!

Chill

Regular
My friends bike was stolen from the front of his house (nipped in to get something) when he returned out is bike had gone, he gone in the car with another guy to go and have look around, wile his was looking he phoned me and told me what had gone on!!! I got out my bike and my very big dog which runs along the side of my bike all the time and start looking around, I got to the area in no time and bumped into the lads in a car told me where I they had been, I decided to head back to the main road and turned right to head to the shops and my dog had ran off left and run down a back road about 40 yards up the road, I turned around and went after him as I turned into the road the lad was coming up the road on the bike, I got off my bike as the dog come running back and waited until he got to the top of the road, then run over and stopped him on the bike at which point my dog start barking at him, the guy was taken back as he must fort I was just walking my dog not looking for the stolen bike, I told him it was stolen and that there is a gang of people looking around for the bike at which point he said to me his friend had just lent it him to go the shop I knew the kids face out of the local gangs at the shop and told him he was in for a beating when the guy who owns the bike get here his face dropped, I decided it was best for him go before the guy did show up and end up in trouble for slapping a young lad. I got on my bike and started riding with the other bike wheeling along side and the dog which in my eyes found the bike, it was a good feeling that I got my friends baby back for him. He was even more made up as he see me riding down the road with his bike in hand and told him the story he didn't care about the boy who stole the bike he was just so happy he got the bike back

Hi to you all out there. This is on topic but slightly from a different angle/perspective.
I am about to purchase a Cannondale R800 on 650C's in a Ruby colour with Silver lettering etc.
The bike is illustrated on the advert without a saddle or pedals and oddly enough there is another road bike is also shown in the same mode of no saddle & no pedals on a different advert. I am curious.
The bike was advertised at £330.00 but I manage to secure a sale at £240.00. The bike is being sent to me by courier at a fixed cost and if it does not conform/satisfy then all I do is return it in the same box.
Although there is a section for Stolen Bikes why is there not one that hails the return of it;If you are lucky.
I am aware that bikes of all types are stolen around the country and moved around and well out of their district/town/City,
Is organised thievery still going on and where do the hubs appear to be?.
Is there a National Data Base for stolen bikes that can be accessed by the man in the street ?.
I am asking this of the forum because I myself was the victim of a stolen 19&1/2" 1937 Hetchins Curly(Vibrant Triangle) Track Bike in the mid 60's. It appeared several weeks later in the then Liverpool Cycle Exchange,it had been stripped and the original Double Crown Forks had gone.

Herbie

Veteran
So many people have stories of their bikes being stolen.

I've recently come across this device :
http://www.integratedtrackers.com/GPSTrack/

If your bike gets stolen you get sent an automatic text, and you can then follow the path the stolen bike is taking, on your computer.
You'd probably then need to get the police involved to accompany you when you go to get it back.

I believe the police sometimes use 'bait bikes' fitted with devices like this. I wish they'd do it more often. Sometimes they get led to a whole stash of stolen bikes.

At £83 for the SpyBike and no subscription fees, that seems reasonable for the satisfaction of catching the thief.

Steve

Eureka! I've wanting to get something like this for ages...folk may think £83 is a lot to shell out but if you get your expensive pride and joy back its money well spent...Anyone got one?

thathurt

I got mine back from the police after 2 days this week. It wasnt far away thankfully and not damaged. Dont know who spoted it but im glad they took the time to inform the police.

pally83

Über Member
We had two nicked from the shed on Saturday night, one was recovered by police by Sunday evening, but the scumbag had taken the saddle, bar ends and bracket for baby seat.

Speedywheelsjeans

Some lads nicked my little brothers bmx a few days after he had got it for christmas, they had actually stopped him told him to get off it and were pedaling round the local area on it. He came home in tears which sent me flying out the house in a rage, fortunately for me this was a time when kickboxing was my passion and not cycling, It was a very satisfying moment for me when I hit the first lad square in the face making him lose some of his beer rotten teeth, especially as it was the exact same lads that used to torment me when I was a wee lad.... They failed to realise I would grow to their size one day, and my avoidance of smoking, drinking and drugs gave me the upper hand in the physical situation, nobody else wanted to step forward and challenge me so I got the bike back but not before making the lad who had been riding it round kiss the wheel and apologise to the bike for molesting it. :laugh:

strangely enough we got a brick through the window of our house the same night... you just cant win!

Top Bottom