Has Grand Tour cycling just become about protected climbers?

Would you like to see GC riders exposed more often.

• Yes, with more individual Time Trials & Classic days

• No, It fine as is

• Yes, By banning team radio and reducing team sizes.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A.Z.KOETSIER

2015 Tour de France Route
  • 9 flat stages - GC riders protected for each kilo so no individual effort racing for them here.
  • 3 hilly stages
  • 7 mountain stages including 5 summit finishes - Multiple Hours of climbing
  • 1 individual time trial - 13.8km lasted less than 15min
  • 1 team time trial - again climbers can gain time even if weaker on flats
  • 2 rest days

Has Grand Tour cycling just become about the best protected climbers? Im surprised how little time is spent solo or where actual GC riders are racing head to head on the flats.

It's kind of the the same as how GC Sprinting has become a page in the books of history. Gone are the days when GC riders won on the Champ Elysees. Has the TT also died?

Lets be honest GC riders only come to the front on the last and final climbs now days. Froome possibly only lead the entire 2015 Tour for about 5-10km out of +/-3500km?

Is that what you guys want to see from grand tours? is that what the most complete cyclists in the world have to be?

Now I don't expect 160km Merckx breakaways with 8 minute winning margins. I understand that's not possible anymore, but surely they should have more balanced Grand Tours.

Imagine a tour with 7 sprinters days 7 climbing days and 7 TT/Classic days. The Podium would look quite different.

No, as we saw in the last TdF. The opening week put most of the contenders out of contention, all on flat and cobbled stages.

OP
OP
A.Z.KOETSIER

A.Z.KOETSIER

No, as we saw in the last TdF. The opening week put most of the contenders out of contention, all on flat and cobbled stages.

Exactly my point. Maybe they shouldn't be on the podium if one windy day in Zeeland keeps them off it. As for the cobbles even Froome managed to navigate through them, and his not exactly the most aware bike handler. After all shouldn't bike handling be an important test for a complete rider.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/raci...doubters-on-the-tour-de-france-cobbles-181141

I cannot think why more ITTs would make any grand tour better.
More classic days though.

Top Bottom