Have you set off a GATSO on your bike ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Be interested to know if you have set off a GATSO on your bike? There was a web site some time ago where cyclists where filming the GATSO activation.

Mr Phoebus

I've triggered one once, or so the others who were behind me claimed.

I like triggering the 'Slow Down' signs, if I'm fresh enough. ;)
There's two by me.

Mortiroloboy

I have tried to activate one on a hill locally, but so far no luck, not a speed issue as the required 34 mph is achievable, it's just the other road users that make getting up to speed hard.

I have set off 'slow down' signs though.;)

dodgy

Do you think there's a car enthusiast site somewhere, where its members are boasting of setting off speed cameras and slow down signs ;)

Mr Phoebus

dodgy said:
Do you think there's a car enthusiast site somewhere, where its members are boasting of setting off speed cameras and slow down signs ;)

If those 'camera proof' number plates really worked, then yes, there'd be LOADS of sites where they'd be boasting.

OP
OP
N

Nicensleazy

dodgy said:

Set off a GATSO on a cycle = no offences !

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
User3143 said:
I thought you couldn't set off a Gatso, because you don't activate the magnetic sensor in the ground as you ride over it. Might be able to with a bike with a steel frame though.

Never heard of a magnetic sensor in the ground? I believe the sensor in a Gatso is an infra red one in the camera itself?

The white marks on the road are there to give the rozzers a clear indication of your speed over the ground!

Funtboy

Not likely. I've probably triggered off a few FATSOs though but.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Traffic lights are triggered by magnetic sensors in the trapezdoid shapes you see in the tarmac at junctions. The magnetic field of your vehicle is picked up by cables buried under the strips of bitumen.

GATSOSs are triggered by something like a radar beam. They take two pictures and the marks on the road allow the Police to calculate your speed between the flashes.

mr Mag00

rising member
no but i have been radared by 2 police who stepped out and flagged me down, i was in 2 minds to whip by and keep pedaling. but i stopped and received a v v long lecture about riding without adequate protection eg full length trousers and jersey, in the height of summer!!!! this was proably due to the answer i gave them when they asked did i have any idea what speed i was doing to which i replied , no as i didnt have a calibrated speedo attached to my pedal cycle! :wacko:
I did try to explain that i could out manouvre a car and out break a car at 36mile an hour, and i did understand the consequences as i had been riding for 2 decades and had accidents my brother at the time was recovering from an altercation with a car in london. all this came from 2 extremely overweight traffic cops

dodgy

mr Mag00 said:
all this came from 2 extremely overweight traffic cops

And as the old adage goes, the most dangerous thing a cyclist can do is to stop riding. From a pure risk based POV, those coppers would be better off lecturing people to get out of their cars and get some exercise.

Top Bottom