Having a cardio stent fitted - recovery - anyone had this???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

Has anyone had a cardio stent fitted and if so what was the recovery/improvement?
I cyclo-commute daily as my wife needs the disability car for my son so worrying about having to se pubic transport for a long period :sad:

50 now and had a heart attack 20 years ago (hereditary) and fully discharged by cardio 2 yrs later.
I was doing 50-100 mile rides in varying terrains(ie coast to coast - whitehaven to newcastle) as well as running and my first GNR in 1:51 in Sept 10.
Starting Oct 10 I saw a major downturn in my ability to the point of no running since May 11 and a v-tough 170 miler newcastle to Hawes n back which half killed me.
Anyhoos, in Spt 11 I saw doc and he referred me to cardio - then angiogram and it seems the vein that caused th MI has closed and another feeeding into Atria was 93% closed - hence Stent on 17th.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Tony

I'm tempted to say your cardiologist is the man to ask - he will literally have 'hands on' experience with your particular ticker.
Good luck with this. Neil

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
My husband had four stents put in last January (aged 39). He went cycle touring with me in June, doing 30-40 miles per day, no probs. could have done more but he'd lost his saddle tolerance through being off the bike!

He started cycling about a month after the stents were put in. He did some cardiac rehabilitation for a couple of months. We bought him an HRM as were advised that he stays under 120bpm although he usually goes above that for up to a minute on an hour's ride (he's on beta blockers so that's why it's so low).

He rides most days now.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Here's a link to an article in the current BHF's Heart Matters magazine: getting back to activity
- as advised above take your cardiologists advice. I found the local cardio rehab programme very helpful, and having completed the programme was also signed up to 'exercise on prescription' via my GP - a programme of gym based exercise at council leisure centres. I also found a heart rate monitor useful, at least initially, as much of the rehab exercise was based on exercising at a certain level, involving much pulse taking.

OP
OP
TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD

Guru
Thanks all.
I suppose just wait n see what they say on the day cos if they go in by the wrist I'll be out by tea time.
Just got bupa email si in the Great North Run - something to work towards as well.
My cycle mates are worried I'll suddenly leave em standing. They call me carthorse as my quads n glutes are overdeveloped and with the extra oxygen? You never know (probably the opposite effect).

I'm already on beta-blockers so heart rate tends to max out at 135 - time to dig out the HRM for my Garmin 405 even tho I hate using it- need nip cream :-0

I have a gym membership at work and the team there are very good.

Tony

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Yep, stent fitted when I was 42, 7 years ago.
Take the advice, go very gently initially and follow the advice of the Cardio-rehab program. I guess you'll be on Beta-blockers and they make you feel a bit sluggish. You'll also be told to keep bpm to a max of 120, so get an HRM for starters.
I felt immediately better once the stent was fitted, like awakening from a dream. Everybody noted my complexion was pink again not white.
I followed the Cardi-rehab advice and once completed SLOWLY built-up my capabilities. I think you'll learn to listen and understand your body.
Cycling-wise I'm good for 20mph on the flat (which is over 120bpm) but it all feels good, I've stopped 'sprinting' for the line on club nights as this is far to hard on the heart rate. I've got low gearing or am prepared to walk up really steep hills where once I'd have stood on the pedals and burst blood vessels to climb. So really it's about being sensible. I can still ride all day at a good pace so life is pretty good.
BTW, Beta-blockers at the start of the day make for harder early morning performance ... but you'll feel so much better all-round that you'll not mind it ... it's better than being dead which for some (me included) was the alternative!

Good luck, it's a fascinating process!

OP
OP
TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD

Guru
Yep, stent fitted when I was 42, 7 years ago.
Take the advice, go very gently initially and follow the advice of the Cardio-rehab program. I guess you'll be on Beta-blockers and they make you feel a bit sluggish. You'll also be told to keep bpm to a max of 120, so get an HRM for starters.
I felt immediately better once the stent was fitted, like awakening from a dream. Everybody noted my complexion was pink again not white.
I followed the Cardi-rehab advice and once completed SLOWLY built-up my capabilities. I think you'll learn to listen and understand your body.
Cycling-wise I'm good for 20mph on the flat (which is over 120bpm) but it all feels good, I've stopped 'sprinting' for the line on club nights as this is far to hard on the heart rate. I've got low gearing or am prepared to walk up really steep hills where once I'd have stood on the pedals and burst blood vessels to climb. So really it's about being sensible. I can still ride all day at a good pace so life is pretty good.
BTW, Beta-blockers at the start of the day make for harder early morning performance ... but you'll feel so much better all-round that you'll not mind it ... it's better than being dead which for some (me included) was the alternative!

Good luck, it's a fascinating process!

Good advice fab foodie.
I'm trying to internalise the"take it easy" thing as although I'm not a great climber, on undulating I can still push it out to avg 17 over 60 miles and if I see another cyclist in front of me... Well - Nuff said.
The bitch is we only have 1 car used for my disabled son so cycling is my commute.
I could walk .7 mile to then pubic transport, but have you ever tried that -my god they're full of zombies and ciggie stinkers who dragged through 3 fags in as many minutes cos they had to take a 20 min bus ride!!!
I suppose at 50 I should wake up and smell the coffee as I had a lucky escape in '93.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Good advice fab foodie.
I'm trying to internalise the"take it easy" thing as although I'm not a great climber, on undulating I can still push it out to avg 17 over 60 miles and if I see another cyclist in front of me... Well - Nuff said.
The bitch is we only have 1 car used for my disabled son so cycling is my commute.
I could walk .7 mile to then pubic transport, but have you ever tried that -my god they're full of zombies and ciggie stinkers who dragged through 3 fags in as many minutes cos they had to take a 20 min bus ride!!!
I suppose at 50 I should wake up and smell the coffee as I had a lucky escape in '93.

You'll be fine, it's not a long period of time and you'll soon be back on your commute and still be able to go well, I'm really no slower than I was before, but just have to warm-up and down gently and not overexert, you'll soon realise when you do!

Honestly, I'm not the fittest cyclist and I'm overweight, but I keep-up with the majority of my peers and am better than many. If I loose the weight I put on, I'd give a few of 'em a shock. It's not a death sentence, just a rebirth. Slow start, strong finish.

OP
OP
TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD

Guru
Cheers FF

Be a shock to the system but worth it

Tony

D

Deleted member 1258

4 stents fitted in 2008, back at work and back on the bike a week after they put the stents in. As others have said, talk to, and listen to the doctors, also, when your back on the bike, listen to your body. I'd experienced a slow down turn in performance over several years and put it down to getting older, in 2008 I started getting chest pains, I put it down as a possible chest infection, but when It persisted I went to the doctors and was a bit shocked to get the Angina diagnosis. On the bike I'm about 90-95% of my performance when I was at my best.

OP
OP
TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD

Guru
Bugger - poss chest infetion and elevated blood sugar, Stent cancelled until course of antibiotics and further blood tests.
Poss only 2-3 weeks though so fingers crossed.

Sh*t happens I suppose

D

Deleted member 1258

Bugger - poss chest infetion and elevated blood sugar, Stent cancelled until course of antibiotics and further blood tests.
Poss only 2-3 weeks though so fingers crossed.

Sh*t happens I suppose

Thats a bugger, I sympathize, I'm down with the lurgy as well.

OP
OP
TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD

Guru
Would you believe - its back on.
Anti-biotics and a call from the profs secretary as they don't want to leave it to end of march (that worries me a bit!)

Still better sooner than later AND you get shot of me all Friday while I'm in.

Top Bottom