Health and Safety Concerns ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
He DID detain me by preventing me continue with my shopping by blocking
my shopping trolley and proceeding thereafter to the checkout for payment.
It's at this juncture that I insisted that store manager be called.

OK, but he didn't physically detain you or otherwise conduct an illegal restraint as you have alleged above?
Pretty sure all shops have the right to refuse to serve people for no reason at all, as long as it's not on the grounds of race, sexuality or gender.

I just think you're blowing this out of all proportion.

Norm

I say black 'cos a non-black security person in a past store experience wd and did NOT handle the situation in the way that he did that the store manager who was summonsed to intervene was to do so: in my favour and quite rightly too.
Do you think that the difference between the two was solely down to the colour of their skin?

OP
OP
C

chinchyesek

It's a complete waste of time continuing this conversation as you did NOT
grasp the facts that I set out in some detail at first instance, you seem to know
the facts better than self and enjoy playing devil's advocate and what's worse
having NO concept of the law as to what constitutes an unlawful act amounting
to false imprisonment.

Don't argue for argument sake unless you're spot on on the law and the facts
that you obviously are not!

It seems I have come to the wrong chat forum.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
It's a complete waste of time continuing this conversation as you did NOT
grasp the facts that I set out in some detail at first instance, you seem to know
the facts better than self and enjoy playing devil's advocate and what's worse
having NO concept of the law as to what constitutes an unlawful act amounting
to false imprisonment.

Don't argue for argument sake unless you're spot on on the law and the facts
that you obviously are not!

It seems I have come to the wrong chat forum.

Did the security guard physically restrain you and stop you from leaving? Refusing to checkout your shopping is NOT the same thing. I agree with you that he was overzealous and unnecessarily officious, but to claim you were the victim of illegal and false imprisonment is ridiculous.

StuartG

slower but further
Re my bus issue. You don't have the same right to take a folded bike on a bus unlike the underground/overground. It is at the discretion of the driver.

That is not unreasonable as buses do often get filled up with wheelchairs and prams - in which case the driver needs the right to call a halt somewhere or they can become a safety issue for people trying get on/off the bus. But it is a loophole on an empty bus that a cycle hating driver (and I have reasons to suspect this guy has serious issues in this department) can ask me to leave the bus and I should comply. At best a continued reasoned discussion (sic) delays the bus and people waiting down the line, at worst it wastes the time of the constabulary.

In my case this event happened in the early hours of a freezing night when I judged it unsafe to ride home - a H&S issue that was of no consequence to this gentleman.

You can't reason with the unreasonable.

You can!

I have yet to lose on a train.

I carry a copy of the Network's policy that states I can bring it on board, and point this out. Then provide a notebook and ask for a brief assessment of the risk that precludes them allowing me on.

They have always backed down at that point.

This paragraph is in urgent need of a visit from the grammar and punctureation fairies to hide the evidence of the poster's ill-education.

The Punctooation Fairy does the opposite though, I frequently type erudyte and meeningfull sentunces wich are (like vis one) properly spelt and grandmatically coreect. The Fairy then sneaks in during the small gap between finidshing typing and changes it all!

StuartG

slower but further
You can!
I have yet to lose on a train.
It is not unreasonable when the person is mistaken and can be corrected by showing the policy.
It is unreasonable when the person is lying and seeks to cover up by finding a loophole in the policy when shown.

Hence my statement "You can't reason with the unreasonable" and eviction from the bus. You would probably have suffered the same fate on the train had that person been the guard.

Top Bottom