Hello from Bromsgrove

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lozcs

Guru
Hello!

Been lurking here for a couple of weeks and thought I'd say hi as today I have completed my first month of cycling 4 miles to the train station on the way to work, loving it so far.

I haven't really ridden a bike any long distance for twenty years and got given an old (but very well looked after) hybrid bike (A Ridgeback Adventure 501GS) that I really like.

Using imapmyride on the iphone to monitor distance and speed and surprised with my improvement in such a short space of time. So far, I've cycled 206 miles. My fastest average speed so far is 17.1mph the first couple of days were just over 13 (and felt a lot harder!) Amazed with the speeds people on here talk about but perhaps a better bike and a lot more experience might help! :biggrin:

I was honestly surprised by how courteous most drivers were - I expected much worse - although I have had a few incidents so far, a couple of very close passes one at a pinch point (tips on here have shown me how to avoid these by my positioning on the road) and another from a HGV, also some joker decided to lean out the passenger window and shout BIB right in my ear when he was passing me which made me jump out my skin!

Anyway, what I like...

Cost saving on fuel/not using fuel
Arriving at work feeling brighter
Feel fitter
A little light theraphy for DSPS / sleep better
Getting a parking space at the train station
Doesn't really take any longer than driving (I still set out at the same time)

What I don't like...

Getting withdrawal symptoms from the days I can't ride!
Getting SOAKED - only once mind and that was the way home.
The odd driver that seems to be wound up with cyclists using up 'their' road

Anyway, quite a long first post, so I'll leave it there!

Thanks for having me! I'll see if I can get to 1000 miles before the end of the year.

:biggrin:

Shaun

Founder
Welcome ... sounds like you're well on your way to your 1000 !!!

Just small weekly increases in mileage can make a difference, and you'll be surprised just how far you can go once your fitness improves.

Have a word in the fitness and training forum about how to gradually increase your mileage - you'll get some great tips.

Hope you enjoy CycleChat and ask away if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Welcome.

17.1 mile/h isn't bad on an old hybrid.

Good to see the positives. Agree with the negatives too. I'm a right pain in the office when I haven't cycled in. Snappy, moody and sometimes plain sullen. Getting soaked doesn't happen too often either.

OP
OP
lozcs

lozcs

Guru
Welcome.

17.1 mile/h isn't bad on an old hybrid.

Good to see the positives. Agree with the negatives too. I'm a right pain in the office when I haven't cycled in. Snappy, moody and sometimes plain sullen. Getting soaked doesn't happen too often either.

Thanks!

Although it's a more downhill on the way home - you can see the elevation on this map

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/41197662

Fastest time in was only 13.9mph -

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/39259804

Although don't tend to push it going in as don't want to arrive at work too sweaty. Having said that, got SOAKED in the rain today as well so judging by the 97% dry ride rate people here have quoted that should be me dry until Christmas now! ;-)

Lawrence......

Top Bottom