Hello from Edinburgh!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

jhob

MajorMantra said:
Welcome!

I'm not sure I'd describe that route as flat though it's certainly not bad. From Musselburgh up to Holyrood is all uphill though it's never terribly steep.

If you ever decide to try an on-road route for the first part of your journey, try this:

www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=14013

There's a bit of a climb in the park but you get to do it above ground (rather than in the tunnel) and you get a nice view over Duddingston Loch. Personally I'd stick to the roads actually as some of the cycle paths around Duddingston and Craigmillar take you through some rather insalubrious areas. Also, they tend to have broken glass on them so make sure you've got decent tyres pumped up to a reasonably high pressure.

Reading that back it sounds discouraging - sorry!:biggrin: Cycling in Edinburgh is great actually.:smile:

Matthew (who can be seen on a blue Pompino, a white Genesis or a black and red Ribble - all road bikes)

I've done that route heading into Musselburgh, switching to the road just after Milton Link. Would definitely be tougher in the other direction. Some areas didn't look great but not too bad and I did have to avoid a bit of broken glass, fortunately no punctures yet! There was next to nobody else on the route so I managed to fly back in no time at all.

Will give the road route a try at some point. Cheers for the pointers!

Garz

Squat Member
Awesome dayvo, like the effort!!

If we could get more CC clobber ordered an upcoming event would be a great chance to sport the team colours!

gavintc

Guru
Hi jhob. I am currently enjoying the sun in France on my summer holiday rather than the dreich Edinburgh weather. Still, by this time next week, holiday will be a memory and a sun tan and I will back to the Edinburgh commuting.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
scoosh said:
Welcome ..... and, as you are already in the Honest Toun, you won't have far to go for this social ride. :laugh:

Good to see you have learnt to insert links, Scoosh :surrender:

Top Bottom