Hello from Glasgow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

judoka

I am new to the site and thought I would say hello.

Before I start asking advice.

I am a novice at cycling and way overweight 20st :sad:. I want to buy a bike to go out and about with my wife and son instead of being left in the house when they go for a bike ride.

I hope the forum will be able to help on my choice of bike, I have done some research and have some ideas.

Thanks for reading if you do

Judoka

Hi Judoka!:sad:

I take it from your username that your a judo player. Until recently I have done judo and am from Glasgow. Where do you train? We might well know each other!:angry:

Welcome to the forum,

As I see it, it really depends on what sort of riding you are doing. If its on Road and your wanting efficiency, speed and, capable of long distance go for a road bike. If its for light road and reasonable trails go for a Hybrid. If you are seriously going off road go for a mountain bike. The advantage of a Hybrid you can get them that are more orientated towards the road or the mtb end. Excuse me if I'm jumping to conclusions I'd guess a hybrid bike would be the best for what you hint at. The next thing is to sort out is your budget.

Jane Smart

The Queen
Can't advise you on your bike like the rest of them here, as I am fairly new to cycling too, but a huge welcome from me and good on you for wanting to get out there :smile:

ACS

Legendary Member
:smile::biggrin:

Glad to have you aboard

rh100

Hi and welcome

Can't advise you about the bike you need, but you are certainly asking in the right place before parting with any cash.

Like you, I am also a novice and at 20st, have been riding for a couple of weeks now and really enjoying it and feeling a bit fitter already. My main suggestion for you, as I am heavy also, is make sure you have a decent, comfy saddle as I was nearly put off riding by the discomfort from the standard fitted one on my MTB, the upgrade made all the difference in allowing me to go further distance.

I go out with my GF, this helps as we encourage each other to do better.

Whatever you decide to buy, good luck with it.

regards

Rich

jack cameron

Hello Judoka,I'm new here too
If you want to go out with your wife and kids,i reckon you need a Mountain Bike as most families tend not to do too much Road Work.Cycle paths are a great start to get you into Cycling and gain a wee bit of fitness.Good luck and Keep Fit

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
No a mountain bike is not necessary for off road paths, a hybrid is perfectly good for that sort of thing. A lot the shopping chains try to push people into buying mountain bikes when they are not really appropriate for the rider. Best thing to go is find a good local bike shop (LBS) and try as wide a range of bikes as you can, then buy the one feels the best to ride...

Top Bottom