Hello from Southampton!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ollie W

Cycling pls
Hi, my name is Ollie and it's awesome to be here. I'm 23, originally from London but went to Southampton for university and met a lovely lady who is now my wife and we stayed down South.

I've just got myself a Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc and it's my first serious go at using a bike for more than messing around. I'm rather overweight so to start with it's going to be for commuting into town and fitness rides around the city and the Common, but I hope to lose enough weight to join a club in the area (recommendations gratefully accepted!) and maybe join in a few group rides and a sportive or two one day. This is a bit of a project for me so I'm going in all guns blazing and researching as much as I can.

Looking forward to interacting with you all!

paul04

Über Member
Welcome to the website Ollie :hello:

Just keep putting in the miles on the bike, and a good healthy diet will help you lose weight :smile:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Hi Ollie from 12 miles north! :hello:

Sotonia are your big local club. I'm not a member but I know a few who are and I often see them out and about.

The New Forest is the place to fall in love with your bike. It's purty, it's got flat bits, hilly bits and in theory at least the traffic should be well behaved. Best avoided at on high-summer weekends, but take a weekday or any time off-season and it can feel like you've got Hampshire to yourself.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi Ollie and :welcome:.

Cycling is a good choice for losing a bit of weight.:thumbsup: Just keep up with the regular rides (doesn't have to mean every day) and try a more adventurous distance from time to time andI think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Biker Joe

Über Member
Hi Ollie and :welcome:
Cycling will certainly help you to loose weight. Just watch your calorie intake and I'm sure you will be successful.:thumbsup:
Don't go into 'overdrive' straight away.:stop: It's very easy to let your enthusiasm get away from you.:thumbsdown:
Steady rides and build up gradually.:dance:
I wish you all the best.:hello:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Welcome from Scotland, Ollie!
Building up the miles slowly does it, you'll get trim in no time.
Good luck!

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
:welcome: Ollie

As @Bollo says, get yourself out to the New Forest. I started on a Crosstrail out there & you can ride the trails or stick to the roads as I do mostly now & they are a lot quieter than the city.

Top Bottom