Hello from Sunny Devon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big G

Hi all,

I'm an injured runner (achilles issues) and dusted off the old hybrid to stop myself going crazy, and also to try and retain some semblance of fitness! I got hooked, so bought a road bike and am slowly building the mileage and I'm really enjoying it.

I'll need to get a set of lights soon and with a baby on the way in September, I expect I'll be looking to get a turbo trainer soon in order to get some exercise in over the winter when the baby has settled in.

From my running, I enjoy the club (the running aspects and the social aspects!) and the racing scene, although I'm not the quickest. Due to this, I am hoping to enter a Sportive or two and maybe join a cycling club locally, but one step at a time I suppose.

What I've really enjoyed about the cycling is getting out onto roads that I may not know that well, even though they may only be a few miles from my house.

Big G

Saluki

World class procrastinator
:welcome: to CC

I have a similar cycling story. Totally stuffed up my achilles in 2000, bought a bike and never looked back.

OP
OP
Big G

Big G

Saluki, in hindsight I should have jumped on the bike sooner as opposed to try and keep pushing the achilles with the running. In the end they screamed "NO MORE!", and that was that. I can still plod slowly, but that isn't the type of running I want to be doing.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
:welcome: Big G

OP
OP
Big G

Big G

Hi, thanks for the welcome everyone. :smile:

I have a week off work next week, so planning on getting a few rides in. I may venture over to Dartmoor, to see how soon my legs give in on the hills over there :smile:

Mandragora

Good luck - and enjoy. We're not short of the odd hill down here! I too am a former runner with a whining knee that made me dig my bike out. I've found so many amazing areas by just exploring down lanes that were too far from the house for me to ever have found by running, and too remote for me to ever have needed to drive down in the 28 years we've lived here.

Top Bottom