Hello from sunny Preston!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Welcome and bad news.... you missed a Preston and Blackburn "social" ride on 22 September, which Kiwi Sal, Pennine Paul and I rode, along with some pals and my son. We had a lovely ride out to Dunsop Bridge and back. Sal lives at Houghton and Paul lives in Oldham, hence the huge mileage - but don't get mixed up with him as he rides a fixie! :eek:

Have a look at the pic on page 2 of this thread: http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/preston-and-blackburn-riders-meet-22-september.107752/page-2

I'm interested in this Guild Wheel, how hilly is it? Can it be done on a road bike? It might suit my 13 y.o. son. Could you show us around it?

It was disappointing that only two forum members showed up last month despite weeks of forewarning and several from the area who had expressed an interest. Maybe we should organise another ride soon?

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!
Paul where do you live now that it takes 100 mile round trip? Wow that is a long way and sounds like it may have a few good hills along the way! It may be a while before I build up to that length of ride! How long is your average kind of ride?

I live in the hills above Oldham,a ride to Preston and round the guild wheel and back is just about a 100 miles,
I'd probably take a little detour to check out Penwortham where I used to live.Last time I was there it hadn't changed
since I left in the 70's,the nails i hammered into a tree in the park off Cop Lane are still there :laugh:

I do some big mileages,rode from Oldham to Morecambe and back in the summer 158 miles,
usually ride between 75 and 125 miles on a full dayout

OP
OP
Carolineb

Carolineb

Regular
Welcome and bad news.... you missed a Preston and Blackburn "social" ride on 22 September, which Kiwi Sal, Pennine Paul and I rode, along with some pals and my son. We had a lovely ride out to Dunsop Bridge and back. Sal lives at Houghton and Paul lives in Oldham, hence the huge mileage - but don't get mixed up with him as he rides a fixie! :eek:

Have a look at the pic on page 2 of this thread: http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/preston-and-blackburn-riders-meet-22-september.107752/page-2

I'm interested in this Guild Wheel, how hilly is it? Can it be done on a road bike? It might suit my 13 y.o. son. Could you show us around it?

It was disappointing that only two forum members showed up last month despite weeks of forewarning and several from the area who had expressed an interest. Maybe we should organise another ride soon?

Hi Globalti!
Yeah I saw that ride when I was having a look around the site. I would've gone if I'd known about it so if you are planning another one I would defo come along.

As for the Guild Wheel it is 21 miles long on specially made cycle paths that are generally well made up. Most if it is Tarmac some of it is cinder and a small section is mud but it is fine for a road bike. There are a couple of smallish hills going clockwise and and a very steep hill going anti clockwise - I've only done it clockwise for that reason! Generally though it is flat. Your son will be fine if he did the Dunsop Bridge ride. So if you fancy going round i will be happy to go with you. Could maybe even have that as the next Blackburn meet then Penine Paul could do his century ride!

OP
OP
Carolineb

Carolineb

Regular
I live in the hills above Oldham,a ride to Preston and round the guild wheel and back is just about a 100 miles,
I'd probably take a little detour to check out Penwortham where I used to live.Last time I was there it hadn't changed
since I left in the 70's,the nails i hammered into a tree in the park off Cop Lane are still there :laugh:

I do some big mileages,rode from Oldham to Morecambe and back in the summer 158 miles,
usually ride between 75 and 125 miles on a full dayout

So what is a fixie?!

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Welcome to the site,i heard the Guild Wheel trail was about to open and think there must be a good reason for a forum ride at some point to play ! You have a few bods over your way including the already mentioned Kiwi-Sal and Francesca

OP
OP
Carolineb

Carolineb

Regular
Welcome to the site,i heard the Guild Wheel trail was about to open and think there must be a good reason for a forum ride at some point to play ! You have a few bods over your way including the already mentioned Kiwi-Sal and Francesca

Yeah I would really like to do the Guild Wheel with a few other cyclists. I've done it a few times on my own - its not bad! There are quite a lot of cyclist use it especially at weekends and also dog walkers so my bell does come in very handy! I would really like to go on a few rides into the hills though. I may put an event on the forum and see if anyone is interested. Thanks

Christopher

Über Member
The only weekend date I can make between now and December is Sunday 11 November. However it would be your ride, so pick a date and people should hopefully make arrangements

david k

Hi
Hi, my name is Caroline and I have just got back into cycling after about a four year break when I used to commute. What has spurred me on was the opening of the Guild Wheel, a cycle path that circles the City of Preston over 21 miles. This was created to celebrate Preston Guild 2012 (a week long celebration which only occurs every 20 years) It is a fantastic legacy and it is great to have a route that allows people to enjoy cycling away from traffic! I have done the route twice now but would really like to find some other local cyclists to go out with either to do the Guild Wheel or do a longer rides with more hills!
The main reason i joined this forum was to pick up lots of cycling tips and hopefully meet some new friends!
Caroline
sunny preston? pushing it abit there eh? lol^_^

Top Bottom