hello from the Orkney Islands.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Cairns

Hi, this is not my first post on cycle chat, I have been a member here for some time. I tend not to post but do enjoy reading the posts and enjoy the sense of camaraderie. I dont believe that I have properly introduced myself before. I am a born again cyclist, having started about 8 or nine years ago. I needed something to help change my lifestyle when I stopped smoking and drinking for good. cycling has really fulfilled that need.

I initially started out on a heavy second hand mountain bike, which gave me the cycling bug. I then bought a 2005 Dawes Galaxy which I use for commuting 15 miles round trip to work. This commute is over open countryside roads, and if anyone has ever visited Orkney, you will know how exposed the island is to the elements.
Then, in 2010, through the C2W scheme, I got a Giant Defy 2. This was and is a great little bike, and became my non winter commuter, fitted out with mudguards and rack.
I have decided to upgrade this bike, again through the C2W, to another Giant (lbs stockist) this time I have gone with the Defy 1. It has been ordered but not yet delivered, I am really looking forward to getting on this bike as I have read a lot of positive reviews, on here and elsewhere.
I try to cycle at least 10 miles each day, achieved when commuting and often 20-30 miles on weekend and days off.
I am 54 years of age and I am not really into the competitive side of cycling, I enjoy the journey and the experiance of cycling.
I used to log my miles using endomondo, however, i have gone off it when they went premium, despite me buying the pro version. I now log trips using Strava. I also use viewranger, in which I have invested quite heavily on detailed OS maps for Orkney. This is usefull for both cycling and walking.
Thats about it, for me. If anyone is planning a cycling trip to the Northern Isles, I would be happy to assist in anyway that I can.

Regards
Pete Cairns.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hi. Welcome to the forum. Glad your enjoying cycling, and the forum :welcome:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Having visit Orkney many times (to see the battleships), it certainly looks great place to cycle. Not very hilly, though I guess headwinds could be fearsome on occasion so drop bars set quite low a near essential.

When parking my car for the week I was concerned with security of remaining stuff, and indeed the car itself, then noticed most of the other cars in the car park had their keys in the ignition. A local commented that you'd obviously leave your keys in the car in case someone needed to move it. Car crime clearly isn't a major worry.

Great place, far more cosmopolitan than West Wales say, and not a wickerman in sight.

Col5632

Guru
:welcome: to the website, orkney has always been somewhere i would love to visit :bicycle:

Top Bottom