Hello from Wolverhampton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Te Bheag

Hello Cyclechat folk, I've done this arse-about-face having posted in the forum before.

I'm a 47yo father of 4 boys in Wolverhampton, the family are all members of Wolverhampton Wheelers and ride regularly. Any other Wheelers out there? 10 yo son has just started racing, so if there are any wise words you can give, both to the racer and the Team Manager & Financier (me!) - they would be welcome...

Cheers
Alastair

beancounter

Te Bheag said:
Hello Cyclechat folk, I've done this arse-about-face having posted in the forum before.

I'm a 47yo father of 4 boys in Wolverhampton, the family are all members of Wolverhampton Wheelers and ride regularly. Any other Wheelers out there? 10 yo son has just started racing, so if there are any wise words you can give, both to the racer and the Team Manager & Financier (me!) - they would be welcome...

Cheers
Alastair

Welcome to the forum!

The only useful advice I can give your lad is to get on some decent racing wheels...

bc

ajb

Hi and welcome,

Get a big pay rise, as your son races he will want better equipment. Thats from experience.
Better bike, better kit, go to more races, races get further and further away. I've done 400mile round trips for a race. (But thats a negative of living in North Devon)

Just make sure you all enjoy it, I certainly do.
My Son is 18 now and I'm still going all over with him.

Alan.

OP
OP
Te Bheag

Te Bheag

Cheers chaps!

@ BC - ;) well, get 'em sent and we'll see! ;)
@ User - forums are the devils work, 'tis true
@ ajb - What? you mean it doesn't end?!? At least we are in the centre of the universe country, so we're not 'that far' from anywhere. He has already cost a small fortune... but I suppose I'm living my competitive aspirations out through him. [assume mock American accent] Does that make me a bad person? [/ drop accent]

OP
OP
Te Bheag

Te Bheag

Rhythm Thief said:
Hello, from an ex - Wolverhampton resident. I went out with the Wheelers a few times, but it was a few years ago now.

Excellent. Wheelers are getting a big club these days... we run Childrens coaching sessions on a Friday night and there are loads of little ones there these days. The adult track sessions are also very popular. Who did you ride with? It's a nice friendly club too.

Te Bheag said:
Excellent. Wheelers are getting a big club these days... we run Childrens coaching sessions on a Friday night and there are loads of little ones there these days. The adult track sessions are also very popular. Who did you ride with? It's a nice friendly club too.

Oh, I can't remember now. We went out on a fairly fast 60 mile loop from Aldersley one Sunday morning. I was quite a bit fitter then ...;)

OP
OP
Te Bheag

Te Bheag

Sunday rides are a bit scary fast for me, I'm not fit enough to attempt them now. A few miles going round the velodrome is enough for me these days along with a couple of quiet rides in the week.

ajb

I suppose I'm living my competitive aspirations out through him. Does that make me a bad person?

No not atall,
I was/am the same, just dont push him into something if he dosn't want to do it, just encourage him.

My son started as a runner, went all the way to national finals all over the country, We bought him a bike to help with training, didn't want him doing to many miles at a young age, the more he rode the more he liked it. I was absolutly gutted when he didn't want to run any more but you cant force them.
He is a true sportsman, no matter what he doe's he wants to win and within 18 months he was riding in the Junior National Road Race.
Got a summer off this season though as he has had a severe bout of Glandular fever and is not racing.
Roll on next season.
Good luck and enjoy every minute of it.

Alan.

OP
OP
Te Bheag

Te Bheag

I agree, they need to be encouraged in what they enjoy and not pushed too hard. He took to cycling like a fish to water, and indeed to swimming like a fi... well, you get the idea. He is very enthusiastic and gets a great deal out of training as well as racing. The club coaches and the British Cycling GoRide coaches have been brilliant.

Sounds like your lad is a bit of a star? When will he start again, CX in the Autumn?

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Te Bheag said:
All of them of course!

With any luck they may just grow out of it Alistair.... :rolleyes:

Keep trying to talk myself into joining WWs ...... a work collegue is a regular attender.

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Wulfrunian.

OP
OP
Te Bheag

Te Bheag

You should come down and see us on a Friday, bring your road bike and give it a go. Youth is 6:30 to 8, then Adults 8 til 9:30. Look for the slow tall bloke with a beard on a green Aende & say hello!

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
You mean at Aldersley? Not sure about velodrome, prefer to see a bit of the landscape myself. My friend at work does the Sunday rides, which is what I'd be more inclined to do BUT I don't know if I am fast enough.

Top Bottom