Hello. I'm sneaking back. :-)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mgarl10024

Über Member
Hi all,

I'm sneaking back. :-)

Having done a little cycling in my youth, I bought a better bike in around 2011 and started cycle commuting. Over about a year, I went from nothing to about 3000 miles/year and some 50 mile leisure routes. Weight stayed the same but fitness was definitely improved. Used to enjoy the chats on here and the advice was invaluable.

Then I moved house and was forced to change jobs (to one where cycle commuting is difficult). The new house needed a lot of work, so the bike got very neglected. After a while, I visited less and less as I felt a little fraudulent visiting the forums because I wasn't really a cyclist anymore.

I have now recently sold the second car as it wasn't being used, so for the odd journey (and hopefully commuting in future) I will have to get back with my old two-wheeled friend. Started thinking about new lights, and a bit of maintenance, and thought that here would be the place to find answers again!

Just took her for a 5 mile cycle to a local shop (which would have been a doddle 18mths ago), and came back with my shirt stuck to my back and wobbly legs that don't like climbing stairs anymore. I knew there would be a bit of re-earning that fitness, but was quite surprised at how tough that 'first' trip was.
Anyone else done this? Am I starting from scratch again? Or will I quickly recover what I have lost?

Thanks,

MG

you'll be fine - don't set targets and just enjoy the bike again.

it will all come back in time.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
:welcome: home. A bummer starting over again but your legs will soon remember what they are supposed to do and your bike will be able to take you, unerringly, to a decent cake shop. The first few rides are the worst, as I am sure that you know in your heart of hearts :thumbsup:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Hi I remember you, welcome back! The fitness will soon return!:hello:

OP
OP
mgarl10024

mgarl10024

Über Member
Thank you all for the very warm re-welcome! :-)

Went out on the bike again last week and covered about 5 miles. Was much better - still worked up a right sweat, but was also a lot more fun than the first trip.
Already planning where to go this weekend. :-)

Top Bottom