Hello there!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigfella

Über Member
Hi all,

New to the forum but you could say I am new to Cycling as I haven't ridden for so long!

I'm now 25 but in my younger years I was very very fit and into cycling in a big way. 6-7 years have passed, I started to drive, work in an office and unfortunately put on a lot of weight! I'm now about 20 stone but hold it well as I am a big lad - 6'5 and stocky.

I'm looking to diet and get back on my bike again - I have a 2006 Giant XTC SE. Nice bike but I've hardly touched it, since moving to Essex from the countryside I'm not sure of where to go where cars won't knock me off!

Been looking into getting a Turbo trainer and turning it into an exercise bike.

-- Will post in the Health section.

Thanks,

Matt

Sig SilverPrinter

hi Matt
I live in Havering have you been to any of the country parks?
Hornchurch country park is good for cycling round there is also this park which opened last year
http://www.forestry.gov.uk/newsrele.nsf/WebPressReleases/130EC03F699E3657802574AB003DE321
which has cycle routes and a mountain bike course although haven't checked this one out yet and I only live just down the road:blush:

OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
Thanks for the info, small work hey - didn't think there would be anyone so local! I live about 10mins ride from Hornchurch country park, and my partners parents road backs onto Ingrebourne Hill - I've had a walk around it but not sure how big it is.

I live near Rainham, how about you?

OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
I work near Fenchurch St. and have been thinking about doing the same.

Not sure of what routes to take - the A13 doesn't look fun for a cyclist. How long would you say it is? I estimated 16 miles - 1:15?

Sig SilverPrinter

quickest I've done is 1hr 6mins
A13 does have a cyle path on the pavement running next to it.I did this a couple of times but now I cut through to [i think] wood lane - longbridge rd-barking rd to canning town roundabout poplar high street then cable st to tower hill then south of the river.I come home a different way I go mile end bow road to stratford then romford rd all the way to jutsums lane where i cut across to home.

OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
So you actually pass where I work then at Tower Hill. Would you be interested in letting me tag along one day? To learn the route, I am by no means fit but I think I could manage it.

What time do you start work? I would need to be round here for say 8:00 or 9:00 (shift depending, it changes weekly), so I could get into work and shower and change.

Sig SilverPrinter

i start work any time between 7am and 9.30am.A Monday would be the best day for me at the moment[more flexible work day].
don't worry about not being fit I'm a slightly unfit 40 something female and I manage ok just allow yourself enough time

OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
Sounds great, we'll need to arrange a meeting point and I need to get my bike out and make sure everything is OK with it beforehand.

I'm now even more determined to get fit thanks!

Just trying to think if I have everything I need for the ride into London. I have gloves, helmet etc. Perhaps some shorts, I need a rucksack that isn't going to hinder me too.

OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
Well I have ordered the remainder of the bits so I'm fully equipped. Hopefully they will be here early next week.

Top Bottom