Hello!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cbs

Hi there,

Seen this community referenced in some other forums I frequent (also into old VWs) so thought I'd sign up and see what's going on.

First, a bit about me - I'm in my 40s, but young at heart and have re-discovered the joys of cycling when I bought a new road bike towards the end of last year. I live in Buckinghamshire where there's plenty of routes on and off road.

I have ridden mountain bikes in the past, having had a Trek 330 back in the day (which I used to do the Birmingham to Oxford ride one year), which was replaced by a Marin Hawk Hill in the late 90s after the Trek was stolen. I rode that bike a lot, using it for commuting when I worked close to home, and did some off-road on it too when I could. Later, when I had a little bit of money to spend, I treated myself to a Specialized Rock Hopper Disc, and used it a bit, but not much.

Both my wife and I would ride the mountain bikes when we could to try and keep fit, but the Marin was getting a bit worn and both were quite hard work on the road, being heavy and having fat chunky tyres. We talked about getting road bikes, but it remained a bit of a dream until late last year, when my wife popped into the local bike shop to buy a new helmet and came out with a Trek Lexa road bike!

I spent a couple of rides trying to keep up with her on the Marin (the lighter of the two mountain bikes), before admitting defeat, at which point I bought a Giant Defy 3 road bike. We then enjoyed riding through the thankfully mild winter, gradually increasing our distances and our fitness. Since then my wife has upgraded to a Scott full carbon bike and will be selling the Lexa and I have replaced the rather lacklustre brakes on mine with Tiagra units.

We have also dusted off the mountain bikes this spring and done some gentle off-road rides, which have been enjoyable with our higher fitness levels. What it did highlight though was the wear of the Marin's drivetrain, so a quick ebay spree later it now has a new BB, chainset, cranks, cassette, chain and brake blocks and rides like a new bike!

We've also invested in a turbo trainer and have signed up for some organised 50 mile rides in the summer...

Anyway that's probably a lot more than anyone has the attention span for, so I'll leave it there for now, but thanks for reading if you have and I look forward to taking part here in the future.

Colin

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
:welcome: Colin!

musa

Über Member
:welcome: Colin

You canouldn't have given a more enjoyable story

your missus went to buy a helmet and left with a bike :laugh:
tell me about it

Top Bottom