Hello!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Finch

Regular
Having been here a few weeks I thought I should introduce myself

39, 17 stone (as of this morning - 18 at Christmas), smoke too much and too long sat at the desk at work.

An avid Geocacher my wife struggles to walk 8 to 10 miles on Geocaching rings.

I thought it might be an idea to dust off my steed, a 20 year old (ish) Carrera Mission. Having looked it over it needs tyres, chain, front and rear sprockets, brakes and lubed. Assuming I could get the parts I guessed at over £100 to replace them.

The next day work announced the latest round C2W and I have signed up for a Boardman urban Team (I think!) MTB, on the recommendation of one of my Explorer Scouts who works in the Bike Hut at Halfords.

The intention is to ride to work (about 3 miles) and hard pack trail for caching and fun.

Hopefully this will help with weight loss too! Time will tell I think.

Oh, and Strava is far too addictive...

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Boardman is indeed a good choice, but popular opinion has it that a good check-over is required from a local bike shop, unless you know or trust your local Halfords Bike Mechanic.

Berties

Fast and careful!
You will soon being addicted to riding and you will notice a change in body shape,maybe increase walking speed on the geocache or maybe a jog the only way is up,good luck

Powely

Hi, this is a great site for info and support. I've only just signed up myself and it's been a brilliant resource for me already. You'll soon find you'll clock up the miles. I thought 3 miles was a lot when I first bought my bike but I'm doing 15/20 miles a day after only 4 weeks(and I'm hardly a fit bloke, been weekend drinking to excess for the last 15 years, until recently). Good luck.

OP
OP
Mr Finch

Mr Finch

Regular
Thanks for the welcome folks!

I do trust the guy at halfords, he knows if he gets the build wrong I will make his life hell at scouts!

Want my bike NOW!! Can't wait to get it. :smile:

In the meantime, read, read, read some more and then ask some silly questions about whether I should wear a helmet. Or maybe not... ;)

Top Bottom