Hello

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

double0jedi

Hey all.

I'm Mike and I live in the beautiful East Devon countryside. A 44 year old overweight office worker! I commute to work most days but have to take the car when I have to drop the wife to her work, which is a couple of days a week : ( I have been cycling for about six months and I have dropped a little weight and improved my fitness....a little.
Looking at peoples posts here makes me too embarrassed to say how far the commute is as its not very long at all, and everyone else's seems a lot longer. (Smirk !)
Its still not bad for a big lad like me and considering I used to do no exercise at all, well its better than nothing.
I do really enjoy it, I guess that is the main thing. The posts on the forum have inspired me to go further afield and
this weekend I have planned a route that is about 40 miles. I know that is not much by most peoples standards but gotta start somewhere and I'm going to take my time.
Fascinated by the gear and kit that is out there and am looking to improve my cycling all the time.
When I reach a point where I am not bright red and panting all the time I will be very happy.

Cheers

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Hello from West Central Scotland!

Katherine

Guru
Hi, sounds like you're doing well. It took me a couple of years to build up to 40 miles! Though I'm slightly older, I got stuck in the habit of 22 miles twice a week because I could fit it into a 2 hour window around the family. Now they're all grown up I've been able to go for longer rides. Finding a group to ride with once a month has really helped.
Good to hear that you are enjoying your riding and losing weight too. I dropped 3 sizes!
Have fun.

Ganymede

Veteran
Hi there! I love East Devon. Hilly though, eh?

My commute is only a 7-mile round trip and I don't go every day, but it still means I can get around 20 - 40 miles in during a week. This is good as I don't go for long leisure rides and it's improved my fitness no end. So little and often is good!

Welcome to CC!

Slioch

Guru
Hello and :welcome:. What kind of bike are you riding? 40 miles is a pretty decent distance for anyone to do, but especially in your neck of the woods.

OP
OP
D

double0jedi

I owe you all an apology. The route I had set was in Kilometers and not miles. Damn you google map settings !! Bit of a difference : $

East Devon does have a lot of hills (todays elevation was 775ft, although to be honest I don't really no what to reference that with yet.) but is was a great day.
My bike is a Kona Lava Dome 29er MTB. I properly should have gotten a hybrid but I live close to a common that is great for mountain bikes : ) I ride a lot on the road but when I do manage to get up on the common I remember how much I love off road.

Top Bottom