Helmet Watch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
When touring in mainland Europe through some less interesting areas I occasionally did helmet surveys.This consisted of scoring helmet wearers against non helmet wearers. I stopped counting when the total number counted reached 100, by which time I had usually cycled into an area with more interesting things to look at:smile:.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
For the first time in ages I've been riding during the week this week. Anecdotally, there seem to be not quite as many riders out during the week as during the weekend, and fewer of the people who are out are wearing either lycra or helmets. Most of the people I saw were recreational riders, not commuters. I did notice something I think I've noticed before - that people who are using a bike to get to other sports (carrying raquets or sports bags) tend not to wear helmets.

Tin Pot

Guru
I'm on a fast train out of Waterloo, as I look now I can see a dozen people without helmets (or seat belts!)

I saw a big cyclist on cyclist crash yesterday, it made me think of all the helmet debate threads I've ever had the misfortune of having seen, all rolled into one. One of the crash-ees was wearing a lid. The guy that crashed into him, wasn't wearing a lid. The lid wearer was giving CPR to the non lid wearer.

snorri

Legendary Member
I saw a big cyclist on cyclist crash yesterday, it made me think of all the helmet debate threads I've ever had the misfortune of having seen, all rolled into one. One of the crash-ees was wearing a lid. The guy that crashed into him, wasn't wearing a lid. The lid wearer was giving CPR to the non lid wearer.
I think people are crazy to invite injury by cycling in close formation at high speed, but I would still stop to assist assist an injured one even although I don't have a helmet. What was your point?

I think people are crazy to invite injury by cycling in close formation at high speed, but I would still stop to assist assist an injured one even although I don't have a helmet. What was your point?
My point was that in one incident, every point I've ever heard on these types of debates was summed up.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Sounds rather like the crasher had a heart attack. How is a helmet supposed to prevent one of them?

Brandane

Legendary Member
Disappointingly I have to report that on my recent day trip to Arran, there must have been about 30 cyclists on the ferry. I think I was the only one NOT wearing a helmet :sad:. How many others were wearing a helmet just because they feel they need to conform to the current fashion though? Sometimes even I feel slightly pressurised (mainly by the misguided attitudes of some other cyclists), but fortunately I am a stubborn git.
Having said that, I am attending a proper, organised cycling event at the end of the month and I will be wearing a pointless piece of plastic on my head as it is required as a condition of entry. Which really hacks me off, but what can you do other than boycott these events, which I enjoy (helmets apart)?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I'm noticing a definite shift on my commute, with the number of normally clothed cyclists increasing to the point of almost matching those wearing PPE. Still a way to go but it looks like more and more are treating cycling as it should be: ordinary.

GC

Lonestar

Veteran
How many others were wearing a helmet just because they feel they need to conform to the current fashion though?

I wear a helmet because I feel comfortable in wearing one and not really any other particular reason...a bit like most of the time I go out I wear a baseball cap.In fact the self righteous attitude on this forum makes me feel I want to wear the lid even more.

As it's well known as not a law to wear one I can dump it when I feel like.So it's not really conforming as there is nothing to conform to.Although your point was more pointed to fashion.I don't think I really follow fashion trends.

Last edited:
Top Bottom