helmets and high viz

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boydj

Legendary Member
It’s alright for CB to ride thro London on their lovely cycle lanes it’s another thing here mixing it with traffic who don’t give a damn about the cyclist. Just look at the picture of the Dutch cyclists they have a great government who understands their need for cheap, healthy transport and are backed up with a very sensible population as unlike here. I shall continue riding with my cycle helmet, high vis, flashing lights and rear view mirror, planning my route to avoid as much traffic as possible. Now in my 77th year I want to continue cycling as safely as possible I’m not for giving up jest yet. Good article by the way Chris.

If I remember correctly CB lives on The Wirral.

FWIW I don't wear a helmet riding around Glasgow. My risk assessment ; falling off - very unlikely, falling off and hitting my head, - really unlikely, falling off and hitting my head hard enough to do serious damage - really very unlikely. Helmets make the head bigger and heavier and more likely to hit the ground and hit it harder. Helmets are not designed to prevent concussion and their protective capabilities are much overstated. On the few occasions that I've hit the deck in the last 20 years or so I've broken fingers, banged up shoulders and hips, and had cuts and scrapes to arms and legs, but very little damage that a helmet could have prevented.

Anyway, how many helmets do you see in Amsterdam - where head injury rates are much lower than in other countries where helmets are more widely used?

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Starting to feel the same. My cycling has gone from several thousand miles per year to gradually reducing over the last five years to just a handful of rides. The ever increasing traffic and impatience and aggression have finally got to me.

Where about do you live? I have noticed attitudes to cyclists vary across the country, Yorkshire has been great, Devon is a nightmare of lanes and crazy drivers, Suffolk is were I had my only car collision..... Make what you will......

Top Bottom