helmets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glennc

I need a new helmet, i have around £50 i have looked at some uvex ones and fox too. My head is 58cm and would like a comfy fit as my current one is awfuland doesnt fit properly or look good too. My current jacket is green and cycle grey. Any ideas guys?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Go to a shop and try some on!

vickster

Legendary Member
+1...everyone's head is different, I tried about 10 before settling on the Uvex one I have, wouldn't have even considered the brand if not tried on

On me, they all look awful, so go for comfort :biggrin:

up hill struggle

out of curiosity how much can i expect to spend for a decent quality cycle helmet & other than a comfortable fit what else should I be looking for when choosing a new helmet?

when I bought my bike I just bought a cheap helmet, not very comfy or decent looking as I didn't know if I would like cycling or wearing a helmet for that matter, so i didn't want to spend loads but now id like to get a new helmet.

I mainly ride on shared paths & occasionally on the road but avoid roads as I'm pretty slow & don't want to frustrate car drivers that are stuck behind me I can manage short bursts of speed but can't sustain the speed for a decent period of time.

sorry glennc for hi-jacking your thread

vickster

Legendary Member
Comfortable fit, acceptable aesthetics, meets as many safety standards as possible. Cost, possibly £25+ , the Giro Indicator is a popular option, Specialized meet the higher SNELL standard

If you run hot, more vents the better (but that makes them more costly)

If a helmet does not fit and is uncomfortable, then it is a rod for your own back

The first point is that it should fit and be comfortable.

Research shows that an ill fitting helmet can INCREASE injury two fold when compared with a properly fitted one

After fit and comfort comes the safety standard

EN1078 which is required for sale in the uK is inadequate and feeble.

Australia, The US, and many UK organisations do not allow their use!

The "toughest" standard is the Snell B95, followed by the Snell B90.

ANSI, CPSC or ASTM test passes are all superior to EN1078

Cost is not really an issue. A Snell rated helmet can be sourced for as little as £30 - price is NOT and indicator for quality

As above - visit a few shops as helmets are like shoes. You may find one manufacturer narrow, and another too wide....... trying them on is the only way to find out

up hill struggle

If a helmet does not fit and is uncomfortable, then it is a rod for your own back

The first point is that it should fit and be comfortable.

Research shows that an ill fitting helmet can INCREASE injury two fold when compared with a properly fitted one

After fit and comfort comes the safety standard

EN1078 which is required for sale in the uK is inadequate and feeble.

Australia, The US, and many UK organisations do not allow their use!

The "toughest" standard is the Snell B95, followed by the Snell B90.

ANSI, CPSC or ASTM test passes are all superior to EN1078

Cost is not really an issue. A Snell rated helmet can be sourced for as little as £30 - price is NOT and indicator for quality

As above - visit a few shops as helmets are like shoes. You may find one manufacturer narrow, and another too wide....... trying them on is the only way to find out

thanks for the info. Checked the helmet there & it complies with US CPSC safety standards. The helmet its self is comfortable, nice snug fit & well ventilated but the straps cut in & cause irritation something shocking.

I just fancy something with a bit of padding on the straps to avoid irritating my shaving rash & looks a bit neater when wearing it.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I need a new helmet, i have around £50 i have looked at some uvex ones and fox too. My head is 58cm and would like a comfy fit as my current one is awfuland doesnt fit properly or look good too. My current jacket is green and cycle grey. Any ideas guys?

You definitely need a green or grey one or maybe a green/grey one or maybe get one of those colour wheel thingies from a decorating shop and select a colour from the opposite side to green or grey etc. :smile:

noodle

thanks for the info. Checked the helmet there & it complies with US CPSC safety standards. The helmet its self is comfortable, nice snug fit & well ventilated but the straps cut in & cause irritation something shocking.

I just fancy something with a bit of padding on the straps to avoid irritating my shaving rash & looks a bit neater when wearing it.
Easy solution
Grow a beard no more shaving rash

Top Bottom