Help re John Fern Cycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
hi all just purchased a lovely bike see photo of a bike with John Fern Cycles of coalville transfer on the head stock any body know if they are still around and any contact details please martin

Sadly no, John took is own life three or four years ago and the shop has gone.:girl:

I have a couple of his bikes in my collection.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
hilldodger thats really sad to hear , would you be aware of any body who worked there that i can get in touch with to try and get more info on my new bike ie frame material etc etc .
what models do you have in your collection ? mine has Velos Fougere on it which is a small town in brittany france that has an annual bike race .

John ran his shop alone so I'm not aware of anyone you could contact.

Both my bikes are 70's custom builds for people in the local area who have passed them on to on to me for my Leicestershire built bikes collection. Both are 531 Reynolds frames and forks.

However, I'm not sure how much frame building John did, they could have been made locally by Barry Bond who retired from the cycling business years ago but I still see occasionally.

An elderly chap we know just called in for a cup of tea and I found out the following.

John didn't make any frames but bought most of his from Melor Clarke - a long since gone cycle wholesaler in Leicester. They had all their frames made by varios factories in Birmingham.

My two bikes, being one off specials, had hand made frames by Barry Bond.

wothorpe

Dear Hilldodger,

I also have a barry bond, made in 1989. I have been in touch before but thought you would like to know that there has been one posted on ebay, looks very interesting,

with best wishes

Richard Griffiths (Wothorpe)

An elderly chap we know just called in for a cup of tea and I found out the following.

John didn't make any frames but bought most of his from Melor Clarke - a long since gone cycle wholesaler in Leicester. They had all their frames made by varios factories in Birmingham.

My two bikes, being one off specials, had hand made frames by Barry Bond.

Haylock74

Dear Hilldodger,

I also have a barry bond, made in 1989. I have been in touch before but thought you would like to know that there has been one posted on ebay, looks very interesting,

with best wishes

Richard Griffiths (Wothorpe)

Hi Richard
Just bought a Bond track bike made in the 70s apparently. Needs a bit of a restoration job and was hoping that you might be in contact with Barry?
Cheers
Chris (Stamford)
(BTW - I have also sent you a personal email before I decided to register!)

Top Bottom