Help to find a lower gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steven1988

Veteran
Hi guys,
really need some help, new to road bikes, im riding a viking peloton but the hills are killing me, I know it was a 42/52t chainset. Any ideas on what I can swap round to make the hills easier.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
You could swap to a compact chainset which by default come with 50/34 chainrings. Depending what sprockets you've got on the back wheel you could fit one with a bigger low sprocket, standard rear mechs will take up to 30t on the largest.

My preferred route would be the chainset option, simple to do and you'd even save a few grams in weight!

OP
OP
steven1988

steven1988

Veteran
cheers might nip in lbs for some advice. Meant to be doing 35 miles around bakewell with 939 m of assent dont think I will manage it on it at minute.

OP
OP
steven1988

steven1988

Veteran
Sorry to sound thick but does 10 speed mean 10 on the rear?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
According to this I think the bike has a cartridge square tapered bb and a 7 speed freewheel, which looks like 13-26 or similar. It is not an expensive bike.

To replace a square tapered chainset, the random chance of new requiring the same square tapered bb spindle length is not good, given there are around 10 different common taper standard/length combinations. If the bb taper/length is wrong chainline will be wrong and the front mech will not function properly. So without knowing exactly what the existing bb is one should budget for a new bb. I would suggest this compact chainset from SJS for this bike, inexpensive even including a new, decent 110mm UN55 bb.

The issue of swapping to a standard compact chainset is that the maximum reduction in gearing is only c20%, if this is not enough given the large sprocket at the back looks like a 26T, replacing the freewheel (or cassette if the hub happens to have a freehub but I think unlikely) to an alpine one with a 34T will give the OP even lower gears quite economically. It will also likely need a new, longer chain and a mtb rear mech, but you can get suitable, decent Shimano 14-34 freewheel, Shimano mtb rear mech and KMC chain all for about the same price.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Thanks @RecordAceFromNew , what do you think would be the best way to got about it. Do you think a trip to the LBS, with the bike, would be better for advice?

I don't know what the answer to your question is, because the answer is dependent on whether you are happy to learn, buy some tools* and experience diy, or would you rather pay someone else to do the job for you. All I suggested above was which components I believe are decent and good value for money and would work for your purpose. It is always interesting to ask your lbs' and see what they suggest - it may tell you something about whether they know their onions and whether they have your or their own interests at heart... The other thing is only you can decide how low you want your new low gear, which is dependent on what hills you want to tackle, how fit you are, and whether you would mind walking up the occasion hill. Regarding the decision of compact chainset or alpine cluster, apart from the former doesn't go as low as the latter, your preference may also be driven by whether you would mind a rougher front shift (because front shifts are agricultural at the best of time and a compact is not going to improve it), and whether bigger steps between rear gears will bother you (it doesn't bother me - I have a 1x8 that I am perfectly happy with but ymmv). What is clear is the lowest gear of your bike is unusually high for the average rider/terrain.

* If you are comfortable with diy practically all you need to know for repair and maintenance is in this guide, and for a rough idea of costs practically all the tools you likely need for most bike maintenance/repair jobs are in this starter kit plus this for freewheel removal and this for cable cutting.

Top Bottom