help with route from Wirral/Cheshire to Anglesey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chqshaitan

Guru
Hi,

My other half's parents have a caravan in Anglesey, and I am up for cycling from home(warrington) to there at some point this year, but am unsure of the route so want to take it a step at a time.

My first thought was to get dropped off on the way, say around deeside and then to cycle the rest but dont know what the cycling is like in north wales, and whether this is achievable.

Has anyone cycled from Wirral/Deeside area to Anglesey or got any advice on suitable routes?

Cheers

Lee_M

Guru
70 odd miles, why bother getting a lift to Deeside?

ridewithgps, mapmyride etc usually give good ideas of routes

OP
OP
C

chqshaitan

Guru
Main reason I want a lift is that I live in Warrington, which by my reckoning is give or take 110 miles from the caravan site.

I commute regularly but not up to do those sort of miles in one go, also since I have not done the route.

I fancy breaking it up into manageable chunks and build up to doing it.

I will check out the routes on those apps, cheers

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
The flattest route would be to follow the A548 through Flint and Holywell. Take the 2nd exit at the roundabout just after Tan Lan, down to Talacre. Take the cycle path through the Dunes, through Presthaven Sands Holiday Park, through the golf course. Turn left in front of Pontins to the prom at Prestatyn. Follow the coastal cycle path (NCN 5) through Rhyl, Kinmel Bay, Abergele, Colwyn Bay. The route heads inland at Penrhyn Bay to Llandudno junction. Carry on to Conwy. Down the harbour and follow to the Mulberry pub. Follow the cycle route down the coast all the way to Bangor. it's a superb route and 90% traffic free.

Lee_M

Guru
Main reason I want a lift is that I live in Warrington, which by my reckoning is give or take 110 miles from the caravan site.

I commute regularly but not up to do those sort of miles in one go, also since I have not done the route.

I fancy breaking it up into manageable chunks and build up to doing it.

I will check out the routes on those apps, cheers

get you, sorry, thought you were on the Wirral, hence the question

OP
OP
C

chqshaitan

Guru
The flattest route would be to follow the A548 through Flint and Holywell. Take the 2nd exit at the roundabout just after Tan Lan, down to Talacre. Take the cycle path through the Dunes, through Presthaven Sands Holiday Park, through the golf course. Turn left in front of Pontins to the prom at Prestatyn. Follow the coastal cycle path (NCN 5) through Rhyl, Kinmel Bay, Abergele, Colwyn Bay. The route heads inland at Penrhyn Bay to Llandudno junction. Carry on to Conwy. Down the harbour and follow to the Mulberry pub. Follow the cycle route down the coast all the way to Bangor. it's a superb route and 90% traffic free.

ah thats a blast from the past, my parents used to have a caravan in Presthaven sands caravan park, near the lido. Sounds like a great route.

get you, sorry, thought you were on the Wirral, hence the question

No worries bud, reason I said the Wirral is that my parents live in that neck of the woods so I know it reasonably well. I have found a route on mymyride which looks ideal.

Thanks guys :smile:

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
Presthaven sands is absolutely massive these days, apparently Rio Ferdinand is a regular visitor! It is a superb route but avoid the Rhyl to Abergele section in August, the main season. Full of chavs from the caravan parks!!:thumbsup:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

What a great route. I am toying with the idea of cycling Glossop - Llandudno when we get some nice weather (and an easterly breeze I hope), having an ice cream and then train back.

BikeLiker

Hi,

My other half's parents have a caravan in Anglesey, and I am up for cycling from home(warrington) to there at some point this year, but am unsure of the route so want to take it a step at a time.

My first thought was to get dropped off on the way, say around deeside and then to cycle the rest but dont know what the cycling is like in north wales, and whether this is achievable.

Has anyone cycled from Wirral/Deeside area to Anglesey or got any advice on suitable routes?

Cheers

I've riden from Beaumaris to West Kirby, the route is at http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1762363?privacy_code=w3YOgWMQmsU0lWbX. No real problems. If I did it again I would go over the top of the Clwydians from Holywell to St Asaph but that was my longest ride to date and I was worried about blowing up. I rode some sections of the A55 between Bangor and Conwy, one bit between Penmaenmawr and Conwy was unavoidable without a major detour up the Sychnant Pass. I found the road OK although some people say its a nightmare. The seafront section between Rhyl and Pensarn was busy with daydreaming peds and very sandy so I would use the road next time.

OP
OP
C

chqshaitan

Guru
I've riden from Beaumaris to West Kirby, the route is at http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1762363?privacy_code=w3YOgWMQmsU0lWbX. No real problems. If I did it again I would go over the top of the Clwydians from Holywell to St Asaph but that was my longest ride to date and I was worried about blowing up. I rode some sections of the A55 between Bangor and Conwy, one bit between Penmaenmawr and Conwy was unavoidable without a major detour up the Sychnant Pass. I found the road OK although some people say its a nightmare. The seafront section between Rhyl and Pensarn was busy with daydreaming peds and very sandy so I would use the road next time.

nice one bud, my parents are only a few miles from west kirby. How long did it take you to do the ride?

400bhp

Guru
Just a thought - you're likely to be cycling into the wind as generally it blows from the west. It might be better to cycle back from Anglesey.

BikeLiker

nice one bud, my parents are only a few miles from west kirby. How long did it take you to do the ride?
It took me 5 hours. What 400bhp says is worth thinking about, although when I did it it was into an easterly - sod's law. We've also had a lot of easterlies so far this year so it might be best to wait and see. The coastal sections are very exposed to the wind as you would expect and if it's high tide and windy you will get salt spray blown onto you.

dodgy

Sounds great, I tend to get lost when directions are given in words though. Needs a map!

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
This is your best bet by the looks, sounds lovely too.

Top Bottom