here we go again ..... what to say

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

02GF74

Über Member
continuation of friend who had bike stolen (see stolen bike section).

she wants a replacement and went to local bike shoppe where from what she says, they have a specialize epic womens bike for £ 1000 (if correct, these normally retail at close to £ 3 k!!!) this isn;lt halford but the type of LBS where they spit on you if you bike is not worth more than £ 2 k.

My advice is don't buy an expensive bike as leaving it locked up outside a train station is akin to leaving a bucket full of £ 20 and £ 10 and £ 50 notes.

Her response is: I am not going to be forced to do something different because people decide to steal my bike and I'll get it insured.

My response is that this is not an ideal world, you do what is least hassle for you taking into account the actions of others. Noone in their right mind will use and leave a top notch bike for commuting - the bike that was stolen, RRP £ 550 was without doubt an order of magnitude better than the trash you see locked up to railings; hence why it went (crappy cable lock did no favours).

Also if she can get it insured, it'll cost so much as to almost not worth the while.

Seems I can't reason with her and don;t like the thought that some thieving scumbag benefits from someone's hard work to earn the cash to buy a decent bike. ;)

Sometimes I really despair.
wall.gif

PaulB

Legendary Member
That's terrible. Which, errr...railway station is this out of interest?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
She needs to get a grip on her indignation and take a realistic look at the world around her. Taking a 'principled line' viz a viz cycle thieves isn't principled, it's cretinous.

OP
OP
02GF74

02GF74

Über Member
PaulB said:
That's terrible. Which, errr...railway station is this out of interest?

hardly matters does it? it can be any rail or tube station in the UK, leave an expensive looking bike amdist crap bikes with comedy lock and the end result will be the same.

Just like you never see a lambo or ferrari in your local shopping centre carpark.

here is the lock - my opnion is that the mechanism can be jimmied upon without too much effort - the station police have some CCTV but I am not sure if the incident is on record - be interesting to know how the lock was broken. OR else big screwsdriver in lock is how it is done, not that I know much about these things. :rolleyes:

snake-bike-lock.jpg

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
She locks a proper bike with that, in the same place every day? No offense, but is she a total moron? 8" bolt cutters, 0.2 of a second, thank you very much. Not that it's not cute 'n everything, but really...

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
[quote name='swee'pea99']She locks a proper bike with that, in the same place every day? No offense, but is she a total moron? 8" bolt cutters, 0.2 of a second, thank you very much. Not that it's not cute 'n everything, but really...[/quote]I think nail clippers would probably do for that piece of sh*t. :rolleyes:

Deserves what she gets if she buys another bike and uses a similar lock. Maybe worth telling her that the recommended spend for the lock is about 10% of the bike's value... may make her assess things a bit differently (or not, by the sound of it!).

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
02GF74 said:
here is the lock - my opnion is that the mechanism can be jimmied upon without too much effort
snake-bike-lock.jpg

At least make her fit a better lock - any insurance wouldn't cover that lock if they saw it.

It is made by the same people who make my bell... so why doesn't she get one of their bells instead:biggrin:.

Top Bottom