He's doesn't own a Fiat Punto

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thom

____
Gazetta report today on the Padua case being brought against Ferrari.
No translation other than through Google but this could be huge .

"It is the largest investigation doping in sports history, far beyond the Operacion Puerto. Thousands of pages of documents, reports, and environmental wiretaps, searches and international letters rogatory in Switzerland, the Principality of Monaco and Spain."

Looks like they are exposing a cross border system of payments that amounts technically to money laundering, in order to give payment to Ferrari.
Scarponi fingered. Astana and Radioshack as teams. About 20 teams have had to submit their rider contracts for scrutiny in order to trace the flow of cash.

Anyone got a good translation ?

Edit : cycling news write up

rich p

ridiculous old lush
This could be massive if it nails team doping and names riders too. The peloton could be short of a few riders nextyear. I'm going to start training now.
Operacion Puerto is still rumbling away too IIRC.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
The rider specifically implicated include: "Michele Scarponi, Denis Menchov, Alexandre Kolobnev, Vladimir Gusev, Vladimir Karpets, Mikhail Ignatiev, Evgeni Petrov and Alberto Ongarato." There does seem to be one obvious statistical observation one could make there... if of course that were all the riders, which I don't think it is by a long shot. It may say more about the Gazzetta's willingness to finger Italians other than Scarponi, who everyone already knows is dodgy. But I can't say anyone will be surprised about the large number of riders from ex-Soviet states with all their special programs that would hardly have just melted away with the collapse of communist regimes.

OP
OP
thom

thom

____
I was just going to post that story. All on tape from his campervan being bugged, whoops.
It's amazing. Not having a test for autologous blood doping, you have to find a different route to get convictions but it's a bit snazzy. I wonder how they managed to bug Ferrari's camper van.
It's great the Italian judiciary are going for this - there seems to be stronger laws in play here rather than Spain.
But as far as blood doping goes, detection via profiling seems to be about odd jumps in reticulocyte levels or other components as indicators and perhaps an additional overlay of expected deterioration of oxygen carrying capacity over 3 weeks. If a rider were to dope a small amount on a daily basis through 3 weeks, you probably would never be able to detect it. Unless the plasticisers from the bags shows up.

Makes you very sceptical about Grand Tour winners (and I don't mean Brad, despite the cyclismas thing a couple of days ago...).

Makes you very sceptical about Grand Tour winners (and I don't mean Brad, despite the cyclismas thing a couple of days ago...).

I suspect Wiggo is now out of the SPOTY - the public are just not going to vote for cycling.

It's amazing. Not having a test for autologous blood doping, you have to find a different route to get convictions but it's a bit snazzy. I wonder how they managed to bug Ferrari's camper van.

There is a test, but it is unfortunately not yet fully accepted.

There are various agents in the blood that change once blood is taken outside the body. In stored blood these deteriorate, so levels are lower.

Low levels in a blood test indicate blood transfusion, whether it is from the rider themselves, or a donor is realy irrelevant.

Top Bottom