He's doesn't own a Fiat Punto

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
2133290 said:
My understanding is that, in this country, putting a device into a person's vehicle is intrusive surveillance in the same way as if it were their house, they are both environments where a person has a reasonable expectation of a high degree of privacy. The property interference requires a Police Act authority. The resultant surveillance requires a RIPA authorisation.Putting a device externally is not considered intrusive and would only require a RIPA authority. Other countries would have different laws but within the EU it all stems from Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights, so should be similar. Monkey is the expert on this stuff though.

That's pretty much how I would read it. In the US, there has been a lot more back and fro in the courts about whether police use of GPS tracking constitutes an unlawful search under the 4th Amendment to the Constitution, and therefore would need a judicial warrant. The Supreme Court ruled in January that the placing of a GPS tracking device on a vehicle does need a warrant. However the Appeals Court ruled in August that they do not need a warrant to monitor a cellphone's GPS signal.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I think the main thing about the Liege-Bastogne-Liege fix is the sum involved. It takes it out of the realm of deals on the road and into the realm of criminal activity. The payment schedule involved perhaps indicates a sophisticated system of premeditated race-fixing (unless those people on the motorbikes are accountants and lawyers of course).. This could be the cycling equivalent of Italian football scandals.

Anone know if there are betting syndicates covering cycling in the same way?

The first email was sent on 26 April 2010, the day after the race, from Kolobnev, 31, who rides for Team Katusha, to Vinokourov. Kolobnev allegedly wrote: "Remember well, I had a great chance … I didn't do it for the contract but rather for the situation you found yourself in

This suggests that the first email was actually after the event so it doesn't preclude an 'on-the-road' fix but the translation is a bit clunky and may hint at a premeditated contract I suppose.
If it nails Vino, I won't be unhappy whatever!

Noodley

I wonder if he'd pay me some cash for not entering the race in the first place thereby making his win easier?

From the roadcc story:

UCI spokesman Enrico Carpani said the governing body had asked L'illustre for evidence of the case two years ago but were turned down. "It's a very old story," he told the Guardian.

Well that's a relief. A thorough probe, file closed. I wonder whether Vino had a trip to Geneva to make a donation to the UCI's gumshoe department?

This is fantastic: UCI's total lack of concern for criminality in their sport; a doper with powerful government connections buys a classic; plucky little Belgium humiliated (again); no obvious international investigative body to interfere with pesky rules - this one will run and run.

PS will Sky be asking to see Uran Uran's post olympics bank staqtements?

Interesting article here

This suggests that it is covered by the UCI

1.2.081 Riders shall sportingly defend their own chances. Any collusion or behaviour likely to falsify or go against the interests of the competition shall be forbidden.

This seems to be the popular consensus as to the committed offence

What is going to be a real question as posed by the article is whether in the purest form two teams working together in a breakaway is "collusion". The article cites other examples as well

The other angle is the gambling one, but again it is unclear as to whether this applies if it was not part of a gambling sting

1.2.030 Anyone subject to the UCI regulations may not be involved directly or indirectly in the organisation of bets on cycling competitions, under penalty of a suspension of between 8 days and one year and/or a fine of CHF 2,000 to 200,000.

OP
OP
thom

thom

____
2134470 said:
I would have thought most would see that as the best way to defend their individual interests at that time. It is how they behave when it comes to the sprint at the end that matters.
The temporary road alliances that form and play out on the road are there for all to see - chess on wheels etc... Swiss bank transfers are less obvious.

OP
OP
thom

thom

____
The UCI are launching an investigation into Vino's alleged antics.
Through google translate :
"We have the file well received by the public prosecutor of Padua and it will open an investigation. Messrs Vinokourov and Kolobnev be as fast as possible, invited to be accountable," said the UCI.

Orbytal

Mr Ferrari has already managed to evade charges in the past albeit on appeal! Maybe he has a secret formula?

Also Russian money being chased by a Court in Italy all makes the mind boggle, both do not have great images of being too wholesome in the past!

Top Bottom