Hey from Essex

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roadgal

Hey everyone, quite new to road cycling although try to go out for at least an hour each evening. I love it so much am going to try the Cycletta sportive in Whipsnade, only problem is I am very nervous about Bison Hill which apparently is a 10% gradient, any tips please, never done anything like it before....

gds58

Über Member
Hey everyone, quite new to road cycling although try to go out for at least an hour each evening. I love it so much am going to try the Cycletta sportive in Whipsnade, only problem is I am very nervous about Bison Hill which apparently is a 10% gradient, any tips please, never done anything like it before....

Hi Roadgal and welcome to CC from a fellow Essex resident (it's 'the only way' you know!) If Bison Hill is actually 10% then it is indeed quite a steep one (that's 1 in 10 in old money). I think for anybody, but especially a newbie, then the best advice is to maybe try to ease off a little before reaching the base of the hill just to give yourself a bit of a rest and then DON'T attack the hill but select a nice low gear and just try to keep a steady rhythm going. Most importantly though you mustn't get disheartened if other riders come past you as undoubtedly they will. They will often give some words of encouragement anyway but just let them go at their pace and don't be tempted to try to follow at their speed. Try to keep your upper body nice and still and focus on the road ahead.

If you are riding a road bike with drop bars I would suggest a nice riding position is with your hands on the top of the bars close together near to the stem and move back in the saddle slightly. If you have to stop for a breather so be it, we've all been there if we're being honest!

Good luck with it and out of interest where abouts are you in Essex?

All the best, Graham (Colchester)

huttster

Hi Roadgal,i'm from Essex too,try and practice some hills before hand and before you know it you will be going out looking for steeper ones(not that easy in Essex)and don't do too much in the days leading up to the event so you'll be fully fresh,but most of all enjoy it :thumbsup:

Hello Roadgal and welcome to the forum from a Brentwood boy in exile.

Just googled Bison Hill and found this http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/routes/west/433529/cyclo-sportive-chiltern-100.html.

If it's the same one, then there is a 21% incline on the route, BUT if your bike is equipped with the right range of gears, then you'll be all right.

As the other 'white sockers' have said, just go at your pace and be comfy on the bike.

Good luck and stay around on the forum, it's a real laugh and eye-opener.

OP
OP
R

roadgal

Hi all

Thanks for your tips... I tried North Hill in Little Baddow this evening - I am from Maldon so by the time I get there my legs are nicely warmed up, that hill is just nasty, esp as my gears keep changing, very uncomfortable! Wonder if many others actually enjoy that hill?!

gds58

Über Member
Hi all

Thanks for your tips... I tried North Hill in Little Baddow this evening - I am from Maldon so by the time I get there my legs are nicely warmed up, that hill is just nasty, esp as my gears keep changing, very uncomfortable! Wonder if many others actually enjoy that hill?!

There are some cracking little climbs around there. When you get more confident maybe try going over to Danbury area (it's the highest point in Essex) and there are some really good hills and lovely rolling roads around there. Danbury, Bicnacre, Woodham Ferrers etc shouldn't be too far from you. It's good to hear that you really are 'enjoying' it!! Honestly though the 'drug' will get you if it hasn't already and you will want more and more! I bet your loving it though.

Graham

Top Bottom