hey peeps, newbie...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
I think you just about covered it all there Cyberknight.^_^

And welcome to the forum saj. :thumbsup:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I thought we would never get a word in with CyberKnight chatting away ! :whistle: Welcome to the forum and good luck with the bike choice,as you have already seen,you will get loads of help with this friendly bunch.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Hi Saj and welcome to the forum.

I've just read your first post and IMO you need a road bike. Commuting and long weekend rides fall perfectly into a road bikes world. The weight (or lack of it) makes riding them a pleasure. You say you don't want to seem like its a waste of money in the future should you give it up, I believe you would do this a lot faster by buying a cheaper and heavier bike as it would become a chore.

CyberKnight, I commute through Burton most days. I'll keep an eye out for that Carrera!!!

OP
OP
S

saj1985

Hi Saj and welcome to the forum.

I've just read your first post and IMO you need a road bike. Commuting and long weekend rides fall perfectly into a road bikes world. The weight (or lack of it) makes riding them a pleasure. You say you don't want to seem like its a waste of money in the future should you give it up, I believe you would do this a lot faster by buying a cheaper and heavier bike as it would become a chore.

CyberKnight, I commute through Burton most days. I'll keep an eye out for that Carrera!!!

thanks for the advice buddy! :smile:

OP
OP
S

saj1985

hey peeps, long time!
been nearly a year since i made this thread, cant believe it! lol

i've been looking at getting a bike,
and been busy with things in life,
and by the time you know it, you just dont get around to it...

anyways peeps i finally got a bike this evening,
got myself a carrera valour, its a grey colour road bike,
picked it up for about £120,
what do you peeps reckon?

it seems in good'ish condition and could do with a clean,
got some scuffs and scratches which are to be expected,
when it comes to the mechanics i got no idea to be honest lol, but seems fine,
i just thought it would be the perfect bike for me to get back into cycling.

i think its a bargain,
especially because i've noticed since tour de france and
the olympics bike prices seem to have increased lol!

by the way it felt weird riding a bike after so many years,
think i just need to get used to it, especially with the sitting position, being a road bike! :smile:

i obviously dont expect it to be the best road bike that has ever been made lol,
but so far so good, i seem to like it,
its a small frame bike and im about 5ft7 and it feels about right size for me! :smile:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi :hello:. Just catching up with this thread and, assuming the condition is good, it seems like you've got an okay bike for an okay price.:smile:

A bit of searching threw up this review which rated it quite well in its price range (in 2007).

If you enjoy it and it makes you want to get out and ride that's the main thing.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
S

saj1985

Hi :hello:. Just catching up with this thread and, assuming the condition is good, it seems like you've got an okay bike for an okay price.:smile:

A bit of searching threw up this review which rated it quite well in its price range (in 2007).

If you enjoy it and it makes you want to get out and ride that's the main thing.:thumbsup:

thanks for replying mate, i thought no one was ever going to reply lol!

im looking for a lock but was wondering what type of lock would be best?
d-lock, chain etc....

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
im looking for a lock but was wondering what type of lock would be best?
d-lock, chain etc....
I won't pretend to be an expert on locks, but do know that the scrotes have methods of dealing with most types of lock so you need to get the best you can afford. I tend to look for the Sold Secure Gold rating.

The D lock or a heavy duty chain lock seem to be favourite. For best results it's often recommended to use 2 different types of lock as the crooks will need 2 different tools to deal with them, making it harder.

Beware of cable locks. Unless armoured, many can apparently be opened with a simple pair of wire cutters and also avoid combination locks which are often easy to "crack". (Even I can do it.:wacko:)

I hope this is useful.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom