HGVs and cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
With the recent coverage of HGVs and cyclists in London, it's time to play devil's advocate. I believe myself to be reasonably qualified to observe on the situation as over the last forty years, I've driven cars, vans large and small, 7.5tonne, 18 tonne and 32 tonne HGVs, all in urban and rural situations. And I've been cycling urban and rural for the last twenty plus years - !
The problem is very much a two way thing; HGVs are large with restricted vision compared with a car or bike. If an HGV driver can see a cyclist, he / she can react accordingly. But if a cyclist rides / hovers in a blind spot, then there is potential for trouble. Mirrors are fine, but with five plus mirrors to have to scan, an HGV driver can't be watching them all all of the time. Many of the HGV drivers I talk to on a daily basis complain about the number of road users who think an HGV is as easy to control as a car. The main issue appears to be when an HGV needs to turn left, it will often have to swing over to the right in order to negotiate the turn. Even when the HGV has clearly signalled its intention to turn left in good time, cars and cyclists will often whizz up on the left between HGV and kerb, then wonder why they get trashed. It's happened to me as an HGV driver and I've seen it many times on the road. Many HGVs now have a sign on the back stating 'Cyclists, beware of passing on the inside' - it's there for a reason.
Sorry if this sounds HGV bias, but surely it's common sense to stay behind an HGV if it's there before you and if one comes up beside you at lights etc., let it get away first. Those few seconds delay will probably save your life. Following those two basic rules, in twenty years, the GLW and I have never had any issues with HGVs.

xxDarkRiderxx

Veteran
Great post @simongt. Good to see it from a HGV perspective.

blazed

220lb+
Wouldn't be surprised if most cyclist Injuries with lorries are the cyclists own fault, putting themselves in dangerous positions. A lot of cyclists have a cult like attitude and cannot see past their bias.

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
Notice that the article specifically talks of 'construction lorries'. They are a separate breed. Mostly paid by the load, it is in their financial interests to get as many loads a shift as possible, regardless of the impact on ANY other road user. Most HGV drivers regard them as a lower order and the sooner our dear Government gets it's common sense brain into gear and outlaws this type of payment system, the better.

How about the lorry driver doesn't squeeze alongside the cyclist but stays back and lets the cyclist get away first?

GC

Because if the HGV hasn't shown enough consideration to not go alongside. Hanging back is the best option to avoid being squashed.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
With the recent coverage of HGVs and cyclists in London, it's time to play devil's advocate. I believe myself to be reasonably qualified to observe on the situation as over the last forty years, I've driven cars, vans large and small, 7.5tonne, 18 tonne and 32 tonne HGVs, all in urban and rural situations. And I've been cycling urban and rural for the last twenty plus years - !
The problem is very much a two way thing; HGVs are large with restricted vision compared with a car or bike. If an HGV driver can see a cyclist, he / she can react accordingly. But if a cyclist rides / hovers in a blind spot, then there is potential for trouble. Mirrors are fine, but with five plus mirrors to have to scan, an HGV driver can't be watching them all all of the time. Many of the HGV drivers I talk to on a daily basis complain about the number of road users who think an HGV is as easy to control as a car. The main issue appears to be when an HGV needs to turn left, it will often have to swing over to the right in order to negotiate the turn. Even when the HGV has clearly signalled its intention to turn left in good time, cars and cyclists will often whizz up on the left between HGV and kerb, then wonder why they get trashed. It's happened to me as an HGV driver and I've seen it many times on the road. Many HGVs now have a sign on the back stating 'Cyclists, beware of passing on the inside' - it's there for a reason.
Sorry if this sounds HGV bias, but surely it's common sense to stay behind an HGV if it's there before you and if one comes up beside you at lights etc., let it get away first. Those few seconds delay will probably save your life. Following those two basic rules, in twenty years, the GLW and I have never had any issues with HGVs.
Done all that and still ended up in the lorry blind spot as he changed lanes into a bus lane where I was cycling. If they can't see clearly what are they doing sharing the roads with others?

A cyclists is stopped at the lights in a bike lane. Do you stop behind the cyclust leaving a car's space in front of you?

Have you ever seen anyone leave a space in front in them?

I never have.

Huge numbers of cyclusts are put in this position and yet it's always the cyclists sneaking up that's the issue.

FFS

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
@simongt you were doing really well until the bit about if a HGV pulls up beside you at the lights.

I'm sure as many HGV drivers are as aware of their lethal potential as are cyclists.

Knowing and understanding this, how could they, with any sense of responsibility, wilfully place themselves into a position where they could conceivably kill or maim?

Are bikes expected to have the same type of sign on our back that says 'HGV drivers, stay back'?

We cyclists do have a responsibility for our own safety and the vast majority are well aware of that and how to accomplish it but in such a scenario as you mentioned, that responsibility has been for nothing and we are suddenly through no fault of our own at the mercy of a semi blind vehicle who's driver has decided that their journey is the one that requires everyone else to cede right of way.

It is why us annoying cyclists ride and park in the middle of the f@#&ing road, to save ourselves from having a hazardous situation forced upon us.

Safety cuts both ways and that particular statement of yours concerns me greatly.

Top Bottom