Hi everyone, greeting from Stockport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Philiosfogus

I've got back into cycling over the past year or so after a very long break and have decided to (foolishly maybe) build up an 80's Frank Herety frame I have bought.
I have never attempted this before and am a bit daunted after trawling the internet to look for all the parts required for a period build.
Hopefully I will aquire some friendly advice from some of you kind people as I try and build my dream bike.

And yes, it is probably a midlife crisis..........

Welcome! :hello:

Nothing wrong with a midlife crisis. Although at the moment I'm having a mid-section crisis!! :mrpig:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Hello :welcome:
Fossyant is your man on Herety's he has one, custom made for him with full Dura Ace.
A bit of trivia, Frank's son John is a former national road race champion and current manager of the Rapha Condor JLT team.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
IMAG0380.jpg
Hellooo.

Fellow Herety owner here. Mine is number 141 built in 1989 for me.

Looks like you have Dura Ace callipers in your avatar picture. Get some shots up. These are quite rare bikes, and very well sought after by local collectors/cyclists. There is even one on display at MOSI

Mine is Columbus SLX and it's still on the original paint scheme of Pearl White with Flamboyant Kingfisher blue over spray done by C&G of Liverpool (they are still in business). Frank died about 3-4 years ago. If you didn't know, his son was a professional cyclist. John Herety is now manager of the Rapha Condor UK professional team. (Edit didn't read Hacienda's post)

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I've got back into cycling over the past year or so after a very long break and have decided to (foolishly maybe) build up an 80's Frank Herety frame I have bought.
I have never attempted this before and am a bit daunted after trawling the internet to look for all the parts required for a period build.
Hopefully I will aquire some friendly advice from some of you kind people as I try and build my dream bike.

And yes, it is probably a midlife crisis..........

Hi you might try talking to @rbreid. He may be able to point you in the right direction.

OP
OP
Philiosfogus

Philiosfogus

That is a stunning bike Fossyant, I have seen pics of it elsewhere on here. The callipers are 600EX, I've not sourced very much more for the build at the moment and am still unsure of which groupset to go for. The frame number is 123. I rode one of John Herety's team bikes once when he was a pro (around the time when Channel 4 did the around town cycling series) he was staying at his mum's in Cheadle when I was about 14.

Last edited:

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
Hi and welcome. Be warned vintage builds can become addictive:wacko:. A lot of the pleasure I find is in research and sourcing parts. Never had a Herety nor have any of my bikes got shimano stuff on(mostly too early) so can't offer anything in the way of practical advice re this particular build. If you run a thread on the build though I and many others I'm sure would follow with interest

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That is a stunning bike Fossyant, I have seen pics of it elsewhere on here. The callipers are 600EX, I've not sourced very much more for the build at the moment and am still unsure of which groupset to go for. The frame number is 123. I rode one of John Herety's team bikes once when he was a pro (around the time when Channel 4 did the around town cycling series) he was staying at his mum's in Cheadle when I was about 14.

Thanks. It turns a few heads. Still rides like new - that old Dura Ace stuff was great. Got Shimano 600 on my Ribble. Yours is a very similar age to mine then !!

PS Vintage 7400 Dura Ace groupsets go for over £500 quid, so do some hunting about for parts. Was John's bike a Harry Hall by chance ? He rode Harry's bikes, which as you can imagine, Frank wasn't too impressed with.

Is yours SL or SLX ?

Top Bottom