Hi from the New Forest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speedobum

Hi,

I have a Pinnacle Hybrid Mean Streak that I use to traverse the New forest for fitness. I also own a website selling sport sunglasses coincidently to a lot of cyclists. I look forward to being a member of this group. ;)

Steve

http://www.kontrolsports.co.uk

Randochap

Senior hunter
Cheers! We've got some new forests and some old ones here.

Hi Speedobum,

Welcome to cyclechat.

You're not too far from me. I'm in Southampton. Still haven't really cycled the New Forest very much even though I've been cycling for the last six months.

Any particular bits you'd recommend?

OP
OP
Speedobum

Speedobum

I'm based in Dibden Purlieu, I like the peace, quiet and safety of off road on forest tracks, no particular favourite as I always like something different if I can. There is a flat disused rail track at wickham that is good with a couple of eateries on the route. You may have to dodge the odd pedestrian but i prefer that to fast traffic.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Hi and welcome, Fordingbridge boy here currently exiled in East Anglia

johnsie

Speedobum said:
Hi,

I have a Pinnacle Hybrid Mean Streak that I use to traverse the New forest for fitness. I also own a website selling sport sunglasses coincidently to a lot of cyclists. I look forward to being a member of this group. :thumbsup:

Steve

http://www.kontrolsports.co.uk

Me and her are staying in Burley in December, travelling down from Norwich.

From maps, i've plotted 15 or 20 miles north east from Burley, back down to Brockenhurst, and then back to the hotel - We need to stay mostly on lanes, rather than tracks - Any comments?

Also, looking for a good italian (meal, i've already got a perfectly fine woman friend!). Any suggestions within 10 or so miles of Burley?

OP
OP
Speedobum

Speedobum

johnsie said:
Me and her are staying in Burley in December, travelling down from Norwich.

From maps, i've plotted 15 or 20 miles north east from Burley, back down to Brockenhurst, and then back to the hotel - We need to stay mostly on lanes, rather than tracks - Any comments?

Also, looking for a good italian (meal, i've already got a perfectly fine woman friend!). Any suggestions within 10 or so miles of Burley?

:cheers:Good Italian restuarant... has to be www.la-pergola.co.uk in Lyndhurst it is the best around.. but pricey... well worth it, never had better meal and service.

Lanes in new forest... so many if i remember there is 90, 000 acres of them! get a good OS map or the forestry commission do a cycle map on and off road.:thumbsup:

PpPete

Legendary Member
+1 for the Pergola.
There are lots of designated cycling tracks in the Forest. Mostly good compacted stony surface. Bit harsher than gravel, but perfectly feasible on a suspensionless bike if suitable tyres.

Welcome to the forum.

I cycled from Highcilffe to Totton in Southampton and back a few years ago. An enjoyable flatish run.
Nice part of England;)

johnsie

porkypete said:
+1 for the Pergola.
There are lots of designated cycling tracks in the Forest. Mostly good compacted stony surface. Bit harsher than gravel, but perfectly feasible on a suspensionless bike if suitable tyres.
Thanks for the recommendation for La Pergola - Had birthday dinner there on Friday. Good service, and good (and plentiful) portions. We had dinner at seven when it was relatively quiet before the inevitable at this time of year parties.

Full marks too for the Burley Inn - Ringwood ale at £2.25 a pint, plus a free one after six (we did stay for three nights!). Also good treacle tart at the Buttery in Brockenhurst.

Me and her just did a circular from Burley to Brockenhurst and Holmsley and back to Burley - just over 20 very pleasant tarmac miles.

Definitely a place to return to, but perhaps not in the summer.

Only odd thing were the couple who passed us just outside Brock, then we passed them stationary a mile or two later, only to be passed again by the bloke on his own whizzing off at great speed. I wonder why?

OP
OP
Speedobum

Speedobum

Glad you had a great time in the New Forest, I have lived here for nearly 20 years and still enjoy it. Holmsley has some nice tea rooms by the way.

Happy Birthday for last Friday!:ohmy:

Top Bottom