Hi from the West Midlands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WozzaTT

Hi. I started a couple of threads when I was fannying about trying to a) decide whether to get a road bike and b) choose a bike, but I now pick my new bike up tomorrow so thought I'd better say hello in here.

45, 5'11", 15 stone, complete beginner (rode BMXs as a kid and had a couple of 'racers'), hideously unfit.

I want to ride to get fit, lose weight, get out in the countryside, get the adrenaline pumping, compete against myself using strava or whatever and generally have fun. I hope the bug bites!

Any hints/tips/advice welcome - I'm off to track down reasonably priced starter equipment such as helmet, padded shorts etc as I've got nothing yet and will be walking the bike home at this rate.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Hi.
Don't delay - get out whilst the weather is good. Explore the local area (lovely part of the country near you, and not too many serious hills in the locality), find some good tea stops, find some people to ride with, and start to increase your distances.
First ride will be 5-10 miles, and will leave you exhausted. After that, distances will increase dramatically, until by the end of summer, 30 miles shouldn't intimidate you. Next year, 50 miles will be a good aim, and then 100km. Before long, 100 miles will seem like a reasonable challenge.

And then you will realise that I am not being optimistic, or over-estimating your general fitness level.

Enjoy.

OP
OP
WozzaTT

WozzaTT

Hi.
Don't delay - get out whilst the weather is good. Explore the local area (lovely part of the country near you, and not too many serious hills in the locality), find some good tea stops, find some people to ride with, and start to increase your distances.
First ride will be 5-10 miles, and will leave you exhausted. After that, distances will increase dramatically, until by the end of summer, 30 miles shouldn't intimidate you. Next year, 50 miles will be a good aim, and then 100km. Before long, 100 miles will seem like a reasonable challenge.

And then you will realise that I am not being optimistic, or over-estimating your general fitness level.

Enjoy.

Hi Jim - nice one, thank you.

I was wondering how far to attempt as a first ride - 5 to 10 miles sounds about right. As you say, there's some nice non-hilly countryside around here. Talking of which, do the front wheels come off these bikes easily? I have family over Kenilworth way and fancy putting the bike in the boot and going over that way too.

BrumJim

Most bikes have quick-release front wheels now, which means that they can be removed super-quickly without the need for tools, although you still have to do a bit of twisting to get the hub past the lugs on the forks.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Hi and :welcome: from East Midlands (North West Leicestershire).

Yeah. Same as Wozza. Get out and enjoy the sun while it lasts. I've got rest of today and tomorrow looking after grand-kids. If I'm not dead by Thurs I'll be going out.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hi. Welcome to the forum :welcome: . I hope you enjoy the forum, and we like to see photos of bikes whenever we get the chance.

OP
OP
WozzaTT

WozzaTT

Thank you for the welcomes! I'll post a couple of pics of the bike when I've got it.

I know there will probably be a thousand threads asking this, but I'll ask anyway - what sort of money should I be looking to spend in terms of kit to get me started i.e. helmet and padded shorts? Do I need anything else, just for the first couple of days I mean? Is Halfords as good as anywhere (10% off with British Cycling)? Is my LBS likely to be pricey? Sports Direct (is there stuff tat only)?

I need to get a few bits tomorrow really, otherwise I'd order online.

BrumJim

Tomorrow is a bit soon, but check out Aldi and Lidl for their special offers. Bike stuff can be reasonable quality.
You can cycle in pretty much standard wardrobe stuff, but obviously much more comfortable in the proper gear.
You may want to start with a helmet (although this is somewhat controversial), the rest can wait. LBS can be expensive as they tend to stock the higher margin stuff, and cater for the more discerning cyclist. However people like Red Kite Cycles locally, and On Your Bike or Evans in Birmingham offer a wide range and a whole variety of prices. Sports Direct is tat - you are correct. Halfords? Don't know, and probably neither will the staff there.
But your wardrobe will expand as you cycle more, and you can check out the on-line suppliers.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Aldi are going to have a cycling special coming up soon. Someone on here will be sure to let us know when they announce the date and what they have. Aldi and Lidl are good for jerseys, computers, gloves, socks etc. I have some decent Shorts and longs from there. Workstand from them (seems the same one and price from either store)
WS2.jpg
is a useful addition to your repair kit. Lidl tookit
1525496_1.jpg
is a decent starting point for bike specific tools.

OP
OP
WozzaTT

WozzaTT

Tomorrow is a bit soon, but check out Aldi and Lidl for their special offers. Bike stuff can be reasonable quality.
You can cycle in pretty much standard wardrobe stuff, but obviously much more comfortable in the proper gear.
You may want to start with a helmet (although this is somewhat controversial), the rest can wait. LBS can be expensive as they tend to stock the higher margin stuff, and cater for the more discerning cyclist. However people like Red Kite Cycles locally, and On Your Bike or Evans in Birmingham offer a wide range and a whole variety of prices. Sports Direct is tat - you are correct. Halfords? Don't know, and probably neither will the staff there.
But your wardrobe will expand as you cycle more, and you can check out the on-line suppliers.

Cheers Jim. Starting with a helmet is somewhat controversial? Intriguing!

There is a Red Kite Cycles in Shirley - I'll pop in and have a look.

OP
OP
WozzaTT

WozzaTT

Aldi are going to have a cycling special coming up soon. Someone on here will be sure to let us know when they announce the date and what they have. Aldi and Lidl are good for jerseys, computers, gloves, socks etc. I have some decent Shorts and longs from there. Workstand from them (seems the same one and price from either store)
WS2.jpg
is a useful addition to your repair kit. Lidl tookit
1525496_1.jpg
is a decent starting point for bike specific tools.

Nice - thank you. I'll look out for the Aldi stuff. I'm sure I used to get a weekly email from them telling me what that week's special was - think I unsubscribed during an email cull one day. I'll have a look on their website.

BrumJim

There is a Red Kite Cycles in Shirley - I'll pop in and have a look.

Red Kite Cycles might be a bit serious - I've never been in myself.

Some people maintain that anyone who heads out on a bike without a helmet is being reckless and irresponsible, and do not deserve our assistance or sympathy should they get injured in an incident. Some people maintain that helmet wearing actually increases the incidence of head injuries, or that it is a personal choice and no one should be forced (either legally or through social pressure) to wear one. If you want to kick off an almighty argument, just put forward one of these views.

OP
OP
WozzaTT

WozzaTT

Red Kite Cycles might be a bit serious - I've never been in myself.

Some people maintain that anyone who heads out on a bike without a helmet is being reckless and irresponsible, and do not deserve our assistance or sympathy should they get injured in an incident. Some people maintain that helmet wearing actually increases the incidence of head injuries, or that it is a personal choice and no one should be forced (either legally or through social pressure) to wear one. If you want to kick off an almighty argument, just put forward one of these views.

I went in a couple of times a few years ago, when a friend was buying a bike - it did seem a bit full on to be honest and the online reviews I've found are pretty scathing.

Helmets - I see! Agree it's a personal choice and I'm pretty sure I'll wear one, although it's food for thought.

Top Bottom