Hill advice/Training for beginners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Coggy

Did the Essex Castle 50 mile ride last weekend and really enjoyed it.

Completed bang on my personal target of 3hrs 30mins despite unexpectedly hitting multiple large hills, well, large for round these parts. Found two or three of the hills particularly challenging and felt I had not really prepared enough for them. If I had, I think I would have completed the ride closer to 3hrs 15mins. The time isn't really important but I want to be able to not automatically be daunted upon hitting a long steep climb.

So, I have decided that for now I am going to do shorter rides focussing on hill climbing in safe locations. I have found a long climb about 2 miles from my front door and I plant to go up and down it instead of piling on 20-25 miles on relatively flat terrain.

Is this a good idea ?

Does anyone have any good tips for hills ?

Sensible answers only please :thumbsup:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just keep riding up 'em.. on a regular basis.
Hill climbing stamina comes with regular riding.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Just keep riding up 'em.. on a regular basis.
Hill climbing stamina comes with regular riding.
+1 for that. When I'm out I tend to do either a short hilly ride or longer flat one. A year ago I feared hills, nowadays I see them as a challenge

OP
OP
Coggy

Coggy

+1 for that. When I'm out I tend to do either a short hilly ride or longer flat one. A year ago I feared hills, nowadays I see them as a challenge

This is what I am thinking. I am going to go attack that hill tonight. It's not particularly steep I suppose but just seems to go on forever. And that's in a car !

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
It's taken me four years to be able to tackle long, steep hills with ease, now I love the damn things.
To start with, I would run out of steam and turn back. Then, I would occasionally make it to the top, and then the next day not make it to the top.
After a few months, I could do my local hills, but was always slow.

Just keep doing them, over and over and over.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
This is what I am thinking. I am going to go attack that hill tonight. It's not particularly steep I suppose but just seems to go on forever. And that's in a car !

Don't attack it. That's the best way for you to knacker yourself out before you've even started. Take it easy. Relax, don't grip the handlebars, breath steady and deeply. Choose a low gear and spin up.
The better you get at climbing you can then drop a couple of gears.

OP
OP
Coggy

Coggy

Don't attack it. That's the best way for you to knacker yourself out before you've even started. Take it easy. Relax, don't grip the handlebars, breath steady and deeply. Choose a low gear and spin up.
The better you get at climbing you can then drop a couple of gears.

Sorry, when I say "attack it", I really meant that I will go and use it as my challenge tonight. I am quite happy to crawl up a hill. I'm not proud.

It has taken me about 12 months to get from 'getting off and pushing' to riding up the edge of the Chiltern hills (what passes for mountains around my way but probably steeper than the Alps du Essex). Think there is only one hill that scares me now and it is on the agenda for tomorrow.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5466055

I just get in a low gear, sit down and pedal away whilst singing sea shanties in my head (if you had heard me sing out loud you would be grateful). Then, as the saying goes, rinse and repeat, it will get easier just takes time.

OP
OP
Coggy

Coggy

It has taken me about 12 months to get from 'getting off and pushing' to riding up the edge of the Chiltern hills (what passes for mountains around my way but probably steeper than the Alps du Essex). Think there is only one hill that scares me now and it is on the agenda for tomorrow.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5466055

I just get in a low gear, sit down and pedal away whilst singing sea shanties in my head (if you had heard me sing out loud you would be grateful). Then, as the saying goes, rinse and repeat, it will get easier just takes time.

I have yet to get off and push. I have got off and rested for 3 or 4 minutes though and did so once last Saturday.

Silverfox885

The only thing that works for me is 'don't look up', keep fixed on your front wheel (when it's safe obviously) and when you reach the summit it's a pleasant surprise.

winjim

Smash the cistern
When I'm out I tend to do either a short hilly ride or longer hillier one. Not much choice round here.

ayceejay

Guru
Didn't you just get that bike Coggy, or am I mixing you up with someone else?
If I am correct I think this might be part of the problem as it takes a while to get used to a new bike and some different pedals here a slight change in saddle height there, not to mention getting used to changing gear, can make all the difference. Also it is possible that with a nice new shiny racer you went out too quickly rather than pacing yourself.
Please excuse me if none of this is relevant.

S.Giles

There's a particularly challenging hill at the back of where I live (Trundlegate, in Newbald, E. Yorks).

I've always taken the brute-force approach to it, and tried to get up it as fast as possible (ie, not very!). The other day, though (after reading a thread on this board, and being in a mood to experiment), I decided to try it in a very low gear, and not worry about how long it took to get to the top. Well, to cut a long story short, I climbed it five times in a row, the only breaks being the descents in between. I felt that I could have kept going, but I'd satisfied my curiosity.

If a low enough gear is chosen for a climb, there is surely little difference between hill climbing and riding quickly along the flat (faster, in a higher gear). The cadence and force necessary to turn the pedals must be broadly equivalent. Only the psychological aspect is different (and the wind doesn't rush past and cool as much!).

This made me ponder whether hill climbing could be used to build average speed on the flat.

Steve

Top Bottom