Hills.... any shame in walking up them?....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
When I started out cycling a few years back, I took on a few nasty hills - they would often beat me, but each time I would get further and further.
I think I can pretty much taking on the steepest climbs now, or so I thought.
Last year, on the Dragon Ride, I was beaten by the Devils Elbow. All the other riders I was with did it just fine.
This was a bitter blow and I took it way to seriously, I was pretty upset with myself.

Will just have to try again.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
There is nothing wrong in walking up the hills. There aren't any rules you know that say you must do this or that, and if you don't then your a failure. You can walk, cycle, walk cycle, whenever you want, however you want. Just as long as your happy ignore everyone else. Having fun and enjoying yourself if what counts, not what others say or think. Enjoy.

No shame at all, I use two local hills as fitness testers If I get up one without loaded panniers that is normal fitness. The other one (Wetheral Ferry landing to the post office) If I get up it from a standing start, that is great If I take a run at it and get up that is good to very good, if I only manage as far as the Church, well Ok It is time to rest up. But no shame.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
None whatsoever. I walked up one myself a couple of weeks ago. It was seriously uppy and I ran out of steam so gave in and walked. Heigh Ho. It all adds to the experience.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Absolutely not. Even the pros do it sometimes. Hills do shrink as you get fitter - even to the point they disappear, but that is more to do with miles in the saddle than hill practice. Get out and ride - and enjoy.
I now have a vision in my head of Froome, Contador and Sagan hoofing it up Gas Hill or Mow Cop, or somewhere deciding on who is buying cake at the top :laugh:

Neilsmith

Nothing wrong with walking, I haven't had to do it but when I first started I was climbing a quite long climb and near the top I had a dizzy spell which I ignored, I had a second dizzy spell and thought well I'm nearly at the top I'll stop there and eat something, unfortunately I had a third dizzy spell that made me fall onto the road :B) I should have got off and walked

Top Bottom