Hills in Essex

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kablinsky

We all know that Essex is devoid of decent climbing opportunities. The main problem being that they are way too short. Two I like to train on are:

North Hill, Danbury
Vicarage Hill / Essex Way, Benfleet

Are there any hidden gems I don't know about?

ChrisKH

Guru
Church Hill, back of Benfleet (well Thundersley really) - short, but a sharp shock. Ditto the hill in Maldon town centre.

The climb out of Leigh on Sea station going East or West are short but they are hills, I suppose.

There's a couple of testing climbs coming from Laindon Station going East towards Langdon hills and cross country to Basildon Hospital that get the Old Ticker going. Back up the hill from the A13 to Basildon Hospital is also pretty good, but not great from a traffic perspective.

Then there's the slow tortuous climb (tortuous for me) up Noak Hill into Billericay. Not too steep but long enough to test you a little bit more than what is normal for Essex.

tmcd35

Not been near it since I was about 13yrs old but the hill as you enter Maldon was a 'fun' ride. Also Witham to Braintree via the Notleys, although I did do that recently and that wasn't half as bad as I remembered from all those years back.

wyno70

High beach near Waltham Abbey - Various steep routes up it and you can throw in a few of them to make a decent set!

Domestique

Über Member
Local to Southend
Essex Way/Vicarage Hill in Benfleet
Heading west from the seafront, past Chalkwell then Leigh railway stations and up to the A13.
Bread and Cheese Hill Thundersley
Church Hill Thundersley
Crown Hill, Hambro Hill in Rayleigh

OP
OP
Kablinsky

Kablinsky

wyno70 said:
High beach near Waltham Abbey - Various steep routes up it and you can throw in a few of them to make a decent set!

I forgot about High Beach. I used to live in Loughton and was often over that way. . .unfortunately in my pre-cycling days.

OP
OP
Kablinsky

Kablinsky

Domestique said:
Local to Southend
Essex Way/Vicarage Hill in Benfleet
Heading west from the seafront, past Chalkwell then Leigh railway stations and up to the A13.
Bread and Cheese Hill Thundersley
Church Hill Thundersley
Crown Hill, Hambro Hill in Rayleigh

Seems like there's a few riders from my area. I'm based in Rayleigh so know these well. Crown Hill was always a laugh on my knackered old station bike when coming home after a night out after work in the city.

frank9755

Cyclist
I remember doing a fair old climb into Little Baddow from the North last summer.

From a quick look at the map it looks like 300ft of elevation over about a mile, from the river to the top of the village.

OP
OP
Kablinsky

Kablinsky

frank9755 said:
I remember doing a fair old climb into Little Baddow from the North last summer.

From a quick look at the map it looks like 300ft of elevation over about a mile, from the river to the top of the village.

That's North Hill. It runs from Paper Mill Lock at it's North end (fantastic cake at the coffee shop) passing a couple of very nice pubs on the climb and finishing on the road that leads into Danbury. I'm doing the Essex Tunner sportive next month and I believe it ascends the hill after about 80 miles. Should be interesting.

frank9755

Cyclist
I did it last year after having come from Frinton, so maybe 50 miles in, carrying full load including camping gear. That's why it sticks in my mind!

tmcd35

heliphil said:
Is that the Orchid one from Billericay ???

It is, yes. This thread just bought it to my attention and like a fool (doing the Norwich 100 the week before) I've just signed up for the 75 miler. Nostelgia - I used to live in Witham and the ride looks as if it'll go by my childhood home :smile:

OP
OP
Kablinsky

Kablinsky

frank9755 said:
I did it last year after having come from Frinton, so maybe 50 miles in, carrying full load including camping gear. That's why it sticks in my mind!

I would definitely not fancy it fully loaded. I almost through my bidons away 'a la tour' to save some weight:laugh:

Top Bottom