Hit by a Car tonight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bad boy

Über Member
Hello All,

Just after a bit of advice really.

On my way home ridding in the bus lane up to a major set of lights and a car turning right through traffic didnt see me and consequently hit my front font wheel after I tried to brake hard and swerve.

I ended up flying off the bike and over his car I got up and after a short while managed to get his details. I took some pics of my bike, his car and the road junction etc but am concerned his going to start playing games and start denying everything.

I am a member of the ctc but get the impression unless you want to pursue a personal injury claim they are not overly interested ?. I am not injured my only concern is the bike which has a pringled front wheel and the back wheel is also quite badly buckled beyond repair imo.

How do you think I should proceed with this I didnt think at the time to ask people around for witness details so if he decides to start denying ever been involved in an accident I am buggered ?.

Thanks as always

Paul_L

Über Member
sorry to hear of the crash. Glad you yourself are ok.

I would ring CTC and get their thoughts on it.

I wouldn't have thought they're only interested in personal injurys, and hopefully they'll pursue the bike claim for you.

Good luck.

ps - whilst it's good you're not injured now, watch out for any pain in the morning. If so, suggest you go see your GP and get them recorded.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
BB, bad luck there, glad you're ok but I would also contact CTC, they'll make sure you get good advice. It may be worth a doctors visit as well just in case you've got any knocks not immediately apparent.

battered

Guru
Record the accident with the police. If he plays silly buggers and denies it there's a bent bike and your word, and they can look for corresponding scratches on his car. He would be foolish to lie to them because if he does and is subsequently fpound to be involved then it's failing to stop after an accident, and the police will give you a proper doing for that.

Peter10

Record the accident with the police. If he plays silly buggers and denies it there's a bent bike and your word, and they can look for corresponding scratches on his car. He would be foolish to lie to them because if he does and is subsequently fpound to be involved then it's failing to stop after an accident, and the police will give you a proper doing for that.

Not quite. The driver did stop at the accident and handed over his details, that is all he is required to do. If he goes on to deny it, which happens all the time in car v car accidents, it is down the the insurance company to work it out, or if all else fails a county court. Generally, the Police (in London anyway) should attend all accidents involving pedestrians and cyclists. Obviously that is easier said than done. Always get a witness' details to corroborate your account of the accident. The pictures you have taken should help you out also. If the photo's clearly show he crossed your path which caused the accident, then you should be fine. (e.g. he turned right crossing your path).

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
Hiya,

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I did ring the CTC and they asked me if I was injured which I said no to although I do feel pretty stiff today but have not been to the doctors or anything.

It looks like I will have to contact his Insurers and take it from there. I am not sure what to expect in them obviously resisting to me making an approach like that, I suppose I have to write a statement of events and attach pictures etc ?.

Crankarm

Guru
Hiya,

I did ring the CTC and they asked me if I was injured which I said no to although I do feel pretty stiff today but have not been to the doctors or anything.

It looks like I will have to contact his Insurers and take it from there. I am not sure what to expect in them obviously resisting to me making an approach like that, I suppose I have to write a statement of events and attach pictures etc ?.

Talk about making things hard for yourself ........... just sue the driver for everything you can think of which includes personal injury. Give your case to the CTC solicitors and let them get you a settlement. Awards of damages are not high so why make it even more difficult for yourself?

Have you been to visit your GP yet to get something for your really really sore neck and elbow plus your lower back is hurting?

Keith Oates

Janner
Sorry to hear about the accident but you seam to have missed any serious injury so that is the most important point. Contacting the CTC also is the course I suggest you follow and checking any aches or pains you have by letting your doctor check you over is also a wise step to take. However trying to exaggerate any personal injury is something I would stay clear of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hiya,

Of course I can only state clearly that I would discourage any untruthfulness.....

1. You need to remember that when you are in an accident then the body response will mask pain. I have known people with broken bones walk away and not notice until later
2. YOu should always assume the worst with any injury that you have incurred - even minor ones.
3. If it is an accident injury than the Police need to b notified and the driver has to report their details to the Police

If you do over estimate an injury at the time and call the Police, thus putting it onto the formal status then that would be an honest mistake....

Tynan

Veteran
yes, the insurance wouldn't send you to a doctor for thre months to make sure nothing develops, my neck is still shagged from two years ago yet it only started two months after the accident

hard luck, that's the accident I fear most

PK99

Legendary Member
Of course I can only state clearly that I would discourage any untruthfulness.....

1. You need to remember that when you are in an accident then the body response will mask pain. I have known people with broken bones walk away and not notice until later

I had a very similar prang to the OP back in april.

The cracked ribs only became apparent when pain from the back and thumb subsided after a week.

The PCL strain only became apparent about 3 week later when i did a session on a gym bike and my knee blew up.

The back pain is still there 5 months later.

The knee blew up again with patellar tendonitis as soon as i started to ride again 3 weeks ago and i spent a week on a walking stick andam m=niw undergoing intensive sports injury physio (thanks BUPA!)

To the OP: Get your arse down to the doctors and get your (minor) injures logged

Crankarm

Guru
Sorry to hear about the accident but you seam to have missed any serious injury so that is the most important point. Contacting the CTC also is the course I suggest you follow and checking any aches or pains you have by letting your doctor check you over is also a wise step to take. However trying to exaggerate any personal injury is something I would stay clear of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who said anything about exaggeration???

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
Im a little unsure about the whole injury thing.

I would say I have no injuries as such and am more concerned about the bike but it would seem if I am to get the full assistance from the ctc they want to focus on the injury thing. The fact I said im not injured they gave me a little bit of advice about how to pursue a claim by writing to his insurer etc but that's it.

I understand the importance of emphasizing resulting injuries however small I dont think anyone said any thing about exaggerating them but I will go to the doctors for the sake of helping my case !?.

Top Bottom