Horse Poo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Herbie

Veteran
Daft question .....but is it illegal for horse owners to let their beasts poo on shared walking/cycle paths? Yesterday I cycled on the old Deeside railway line and there was loads of horse poo to dodge along the way...I'm sure they must pick up like dog owners have to? Anyone know?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
While horse dumps aren't as bad as dog dumps for diseases they certainly are worse for causing an obstacle! I think the riders should be expected to pick/shovel it up. I remember years ago when people would shovel up horse muck and put it on their gardens. I suppose they began to realise that for its small benefit it wasn't worth having the unsightly stuff all over their roses.

Last edited:

RitchieJoe

I do recall watching a show involving police horses and one of the people responsible for caring for the horse "claimed" that horse muck doesn't contain harmful bacteria.... but that's probably a load of s**t

classic33

Leg End Member
No, is the short answer, with regards it being illegal. littering is the most they can be done for. Although if you were to remove it and use it in your garden, guess which carries the higher fine!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The police horses from Hammersmith regularly dump their sh#t on the road round here. I ride round it. It isn't that difficult. Besides, it's not that smelly or offensive.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Daft question .....but is it illegal for horse owners to let their beasts poo on shared walking/cycle paths? Yesterday I cycled on the old Deeside railway line and there was loads of horse poo to dodge along the way...I'm sure they must pick up like dog owners have to? Anyone know?

Yes it is a daft question.

Perhaps once you've persuaded the cyclists and walkers to stop discarding litter and dog owners to stop hanging their dogs' bagged up poo off fences and hedgerows, you might find time to take on the horse riders too.

jack smith

Veteran
Ive fell off on the stuff atleast twice i can remember, once(probably more) on the maze/tight tarmac corners on the route 7 c2c i cycle daily on this lath basically its a series of tight chicanes and its always covered in the stuff, and another descending a country road and a big lump of it was in the middle, i went over the bars into a hedge. Disguisting if you ask me its alot larger than dog stuff so should definatley be picked up harmful or not.

vernon

The police horses from Hammersmith regularly dump their sh#t on the road round here. I ride round it. It isn't that difficult. Besides, it's not that smelly or offensive.

I once saw what i thought was the biggest pile of horse poo ever when I was cycling through the Carmargue. Then I spotted that it had a tail. It was a dead coypu.

vernon

Ive fell off on the stuff atleast twice i can remember, once(probably more) on the maze/tight tarmac corners on the route 7 c2c i cycle daily on this lath basically its a series of tight chicanes and its always covered in the stuff, and another descending a country road and a big lump of it was in the middle, i went over the bars into a hedge. Disguisting if you ask me its alot larger than dog stuff so should definatley be picked up harmful or not.

Train your guide dog to lead you round it. :okay:

Top Bottom