How are we going to survive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
With the property market in the doldrums there are a whole lot of professionals feeling the pinch. Only the other day I saw an estate agent in a five year old car, and architects are rumoured to be cutting back on their grouse shooting. Has anyone any practical advice for solicitors to save money? How does one make potato peeling soup if the electricity has been cut off?

Just chuck another stack of fifties on the fire and heat your soup over that.:biggrin:

Convince your neighbours that you are wealthy enough to own a miniature racehorse by draping a tea towel over the cat's back and leading it around your front garden.

With apologies to Viz.

domtyler

Über Member
Ah, your a solicitor? Easy.

Save money on expensive gambling, drugs and lurid all night sex parties with top class prostitutes by staying at home and tapping inane drivel into internet chat rooms to anyone who will listen (there'll always be someone out there, this is the internet!) instead. :biggrin:

Night Train

Maker of Things
Sell bikes through your client database to your clients then jack in the desk job and set up as a bike sales man. Direct all your clients to CycleChat. Recruit those who post here and are looking for work and set them up selling bikes that you supply for a small commission. They can then find other friends and contacts to sell bikes to, encouraging them to find more customers for more bikes....

GrahamG

Guru
There will still be the usual market 'churn' - the professionals who will really feel the pinch are the planners/engineers/builders/architects etc. who rely far too heavily on the large developers. Those with a more diverse client base will do fine once they swallow their pride and realise that they can no longer charge sky high fees.

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
Night Train said:
Sell bikes through your client database to your clients then jack in the desk job and set up as a bike sales man. Direct all your clients to CycleChat. Recruit those who post here and are looking for work and set them up selling bikes that you supply for a small commission. They can then find other friends and contacts to sell bikes to, encouraging them to find more customers for more bikes....

Better still, charge people for the right to sell bikes. They get paid by charging other people to be agents as well, and they in turn charge others, who..................I suspect that you've got the idea now. :sad:

GrahamG said:
There will still be the usual market 'churn' - the professionals who will really feel the pinch are the planners/engineers/builders/architects etc. who rely far too heavily on the large developers. Those with a more diverse client base will do fine once they swallow their pride and realise that they can no longer charge sky high fees.

Planners working for local authorities are unlikely to feel any kind of pinch. And Architects (I am happy to report) are bottom feeders. There's more than enough work around.

The building trade is in meltdown. For the first time in my working life I no longer envy electricians.

Keith Oates

Janner
<The building trade is in meltdown. For the first time in my working life I no longer envy electricians>
Can you expand on that Simon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
simon l& and a half said:
The building trade is in meltdown. For the first time in my working life I no longer envy electricians.

Seconded. For the last five years, electricians have been in short supply and been able to name their own prices for working on new builds which have come to an abrupt halt.

Top Bottom