How "Busy" is England?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I ventured to Englandshire yesterday and visited what I thought would be quite Northumberland coastal areas and everywhere was rammed with people, parking restrictions were in force and it was not at all as I had envisaged - it came as quite a shock, as I am more used to the "almost" if not "Completely" deserted coastal places of Scotland.

Mrs Marmion mentioned it to her sister (who lives in England) when she was speaking to her tonight and she said she is always amazed how quiet Scotland is (especially as it is 1,000 time better than England).

And this is a genuine question...do "lots of people" make English urban dwellers feel "at home" but still "away from home"? And is there an "I'm in England" and "that is Scotland and not me" approach? Nothing wrong with that, I am just interested to enquire - it really was a shock to me. I am fairly sure Scottish urban dwellers may do the same but there are less of us and more coast...

stephec

Legendary Member
It's school holiday time now, did you visit tourist type areas?

IncoherentJeff

The Scottish coasts are wonderful and I love how quiet they are. So far I've explored the east & north coasts next stop west coast.

I think it's a distance thing, even from Manchester it's 125miles just to get to the Scottish boarder nevermind a coast.

Lots of people from work are going to the Welsh coast / Blackpool as they're nearer.

Also Scottish tourism promote the city breaks, lochs & mountains more than the coastline.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I ventured to Englandshire yesterday and visited what I thought would be quite Northumberland coastal areas and everywhere was rammed with people, parking restrictions were in force and it was not at all as I had envisaged - it came as quite a shock, as I am more used to the "almost" if not "Completely" deserted coastal places of Scotland.

Mrs Marmion mentioned it to her sister (who lives in England) when she was speaking to her tonight and she said she is always amazed how quiet Scotland is (especially as it is 1,000 time better than England).

And this is a genuine question...do "lots of people" make English urban dwellers feel "at home" but still "away from home"? And is there an "I'm in England" and "that is Scotland and not me" approach? Nothing wrong with that, I am just interested to enquire - it really was a shock to me. I am fairly sure Scottish urban dwellers may do the same but there are less of us and more coast...
While Scotland is officially NOT 1,000 times better than England, it has many obvious advantages which render it superior in many respects except one; the weather. And another one I've just remembered; when the weather is less inclement in Scotland, you have an infestation of the midge which we don't suffer as much from in England. The king of the Scottish midges used to be in the group Ultravox and should be commended for his part in Live Aid but the legacy he left behind with his followers is very sad.

And you meant 'fewer', not 'less'.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Loads of quiet beaches out here on the Cumbrian coast. Most people don't venture out to the coast as you have to get round the Lake District. The thing is, when I've been to the nice coastal areas of Scotland (up North) they've all been inhabited by ex-pat English too. I think the Scots just don't like the sea :tongue:

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
[QUOTE 3816975, member: 9609"]where were you, I was ower the border too yesterday, Alnwick to Inrgram and back on the bikes -- Ingram was nice up in the hills but Alnwick was just packed out, went to my mates house for half an hour was was glad to be heading north again.[/QUOTE]
We went to Alnwick, which looked lovely and we'll go back (without the dogs) soon for a walk about. We then went to Craster, Seahouses and Bamburgh and they were rammed. Which was the real shock as I thought they'd have been fairly quiet. We ended up in Eyemouth for ice-cream. Which was very nice.

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
Just avoid the obvious tourist hot spots if you like quiet. If you want a quiet sandy beach you'll need to walk in over a (preferrably muddy) footpath as most folks are unwilling to leave their cars very far away.
I didn't think they places we went (see above) were tourist spots.

It was more the difference between England/Scotland that surprised me (only 30 mins drive) - now, I am not claiming that Eyemouth is the hottest tourist attraction in the world but the ice-cream and fish'n'chips at Giacopazzis is loads better than anything a van on the shoreside (which seemed to being doing a roaring trade in the other places) can do.

Anyway, I plan to go back to Alnwick for a wander and food, and Craster (for a pint and food) and Bamburgh (Castle) and Seahouses (no idea why but I suppose I should) when it's a lot quieter...if it ever is!

Top Bottom