How do you continue peddling, when your legs are tired

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Northamger Abbey

When cycling uphill, how do you keep on peddling when your legs ache so much. Even after changing the gears, ascending is difficult. I'm doing this for about two hours a week so how effective could that even be of my leg muscles. I have no bike at home and so cannot ride when I'm not at club

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Look at the hill and say to it "You ain't beating me you bastard"

Start the hill on a lower gear, don't worry about the speed just keep spinning.

London Female

Über Member
I get off and walk! No shame in having a little rest.

I've done this once as well, it was at the point when I started rolling backwards that I thought "it's time to get off and walk". I can not stress enough just how much I hate hills. I should have been going to a local club ride today, I took one look at the route and decided against as it was a hilly one.

byegad

Legendary Member
Low bottom gear, no weighty clutter on the bike and take hills as easily as you have to. As as already been said above, time and miles will help. I ride recumbent trikes and have been passed on a 25% hill by walkers, while still peddling my ultra low bottom gear. They were so out of breathe their 'hellos' were gasped out, while I asked them where they were going, had they walked far and so on.

I did an organised ride with some biggish hills, on one several people passed me, and most of them were still lying on the grass at the top when I rode past and continued on my way. Slow was faster on that day.

Sara_H

Guru
I've done this once as well, it was at the point when I started rolling backwards that I thought "it's time to get off and walk". I can not stress enough just how much I hate hills. I should have been going to a local club ride today, I took one look at the route and decided against as it was a hilly one.
I hate them too! I live at the top of quite a steep hill, it's a loooooong drag. I can cycle all the way p if I choose to, but as a rule I choose not to, as it renders me purple, panting and sweaty!
Very embarrassing, as when its time to dismount my 10 yr old just powers up and shouts "I'll meet you at the top, Mum!" He loves hills and actively seeks them out :wacko: - he gets it from his Dad!

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
If clipped I'll pull the pedals up rather than push them down for a bit.

I didn't 'get' cadence until someone on here told be to always be in the gear below the one you think you should be in, and someone else told me you should be I whatever gear makes your legs feel like they're not doing anything.

Start easier on the hills, switch to a real low gear first as you start the climb, shift up a gear only if you can. A lot of riders push it too hard at the bottom of the hill and run out of steam half way up. It's better to start too easily and have steam left to finish the climb and the rest of the ride.

And, walk it if you want, no shame, just aim to walk less of the hill next time.

Herr-B

I had to stop on a hill today, somebody else had obviously had worse luck than me there as there was a plastic tyre lever next to me. Once I'd restarted I had an idea but it would only work on a very quiet road - tacking, like a dinghy into wind. It worked well for me going side to side, and I'll definitely do it again next time I'm struggling up this one hill.

geo

lowest gear you have, pedal at a pace that keeps your heart rate at an acceptable level for your age if it goes too high slow down but keep pedalling it doesnt matter how slow as you WILL get quicker with time. And remember your legs dont hurt, you just think they do :thumbsup:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Not been riding long enough to comment but I have been mountain walking for a few decades now on on really steep slopes esp' on hot days or when the wind is blowing a hoolie straight at me I just look at the ground and count off double steps by the hundred. Every 100 I have a breather and a look around.

I know you can't exactly cycle looking down but the principle of counting applies.

Works for me.

When I started I hated hills, I too live at the top of a hill, one steepish way in, one not so but long the other is a an 8 mile detour, like numbnuts I have a very low granny gear 26th, though its hardly ever used these days, which mean i usually dont go lower than 38th front 26 rear, this is low enough for me to get up a short (about 1/2 mile) hill which peaks at about 16-18%, I will use a low gear if in the saddle and go up a 2 gears if out, and adjust as needed, you just need to get out and ride them, short intense climbs help, but you have to put the effort in otherwise there will be no improvement. I took me from june last year (absolutely loathing hills) to jan this to actually enjoy the challenge i did a ride today where the best part of the ride (about 18 miles was flat, not completely but pretty much) and I found it boring as a ride goes, enjoyable in the things i saw.

Top Bottom