How do you get air out of a gummed up slime tube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
........without making a terrible mess? I want to change the tube as I can't get air in or out and it's sat limply at around 40psi.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mess - lots of it. Put a cloth over the tube and let the air out. WD40 should help clear the goo off the rims, but wash them thoroughly after. Tube in the bin.

I never use slime tubes.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Mess - lots of it. Put a cloth over the tube and let the air out. WD40 should help clear the goo off the rims, but wash them thoroughly after. Tube in the bin.

I never use slime tubes.
I've decided not to use them again after this one has gone.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Why do you want to take it out? Is it no good?

I tried tyreweld (as a test) on the front tyre of my audax as it had a slow p*nct*r8 and it seems ok.
Because the valves so gummed up that I can't get air into it, meaning I'm riding around with an under inflated tyre.

classic33

Leg End Member
If it's presta, could you unscrew the valve from the core?
Beaten to it.

robgul

Legendary Member
. . . the cost of time must be more than just buying a new tube? Slime is the Work of Stan in my view - it may/may not work - if you get too big a puncture it's pretty much irrepairable.

Rob

Drago

Legendary Member
I used to use them very successfully on my commuters. When parking them up at any time ensure the wheels are oriented with the valves at the top.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I change the valve as and when. The tyre fitter at w*rk keeps the old ones for me when he fits a new tyre.

Top Bottom