How easy is this for a novice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

united4ever

Über Member
Replacing: chain, cassette, chain ring and bottom bracket?

Bike is a Hoy Shizuoka 2018 001

https://road.cc/content/review/97861-hoy-shizuoka-city-bike

It is the 8 gear version.

I ran it into the ground and it's not worth much in its current state.

Was thinking, it might be a good opportunity to see if I can replace the abovementioned components as a learning exercise and potentially being the bike back into use (I do like the bike and they stopped selling them).

How hard would it be and how much would it cost to buy those parts, potentially new derailleur too.

It's the 8 gear version. Any links to a set of suitable/mid range components for a commuter would be welcome.

I have a bike stand but no real tools beside Alan keys and screwdrivers. What tools would I need?

Many thanks

simongt

Guru
With the parts you'll need plus certain tools; cassette & BB extractors among possible others, you'll have to weigh up the overall costs of buying this lot first.
However, doing such home maintenance is very satisfying and is a great learning curve for future work on your bike/s, so give it a serious think - ! :okay:

figbat

Slippery scientist
You’ll need some tools:

• Cassette tool and a big enough spanner to turn it
  • Chain whip
  • Chain tool
  • Bottom bracket tool to suit the bottom bracket you have.

You’ll also need to make sure you acquire the correct type of each part.

It is easily doable and worth knowing how to do, but will require some up-front expense and perhaps some YouTube watching.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
The derailleur should be fine, they're very durable. I would recommend replacing jockey wheels though, they also wear with the chain.

Tools required: cassette removing tool and chainwhip for the cassette. Bottom bracket depends on exactly what is fitted. Chainrings require only Allen keys or Torx wrench.

Should be pretty cheap for 8 speed, guess you'd be sorted for £100.

It's worth replacing at least cable ones inners while you're at it.

Park tool website is excellent for written and video guidance, and their tools are good too.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Adding to above info.

You will need a chain ring with matching symmetric 4 bolt circle diameter (bcd). See https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/pages/how-to-measure-bolt-circle-diameter-bcd for how to measure. Your bike looks single ring, thus look for a single ring replacement as well. It’s good practise to replace the chain ring bolts when replacing chain rings. The bolts don’t cost much but you’ll need ones the same length as you already have. Likely 6.5mm length (if single ring) I think.

si_c

Guru
Easy tasks, definitely worth learning to do if you are of a mind to do so.

If the chain has a quick link you don't need a chain tool - you can break the quicklink with a zip tie if needed, but a quicklink remover is easier. I'd take the chain off, clean the cassette and derailleur, if the crankset runs smoothly - i.e when you hand turn it it spins freely, and you don't feel any binding anywhere, I'd be inclined to leave it be - chances are it's a sealed shimano unit they run for a really long time even if completely ignored. Check to make sure there is no play in the cranks - i.e. when pulling them away from the bike there is no movement.

I'd also be inclined to leave the chainring, it's also probably fine - once you've changed the cassette and chain then maybe revisit it. The chainring is usually easy to replace with just an allen key, depending on where the bolts are you may or may not need to remove the crankset.

Getting the tools is worth it - even to do the full job if you get some basic tools online you'll spend less on tools for these jobs than getting a bike shop to do it would be.

Top Bottom